Spike (Marvel Comics)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2015)|
|First appearance||X-Force #121 (Dec. 2001)|
|Created by||Peter Milligan, Mike Allred|
|Alter ego||Darian Elliott|
|Notable aliases||The Spike|
|Abilities||Ability to generate bone spike projectiles|
Spike is the names of several fictional characters in Marvel Comics. They are not to be confused with Spyke from X-Men: Evolution, not with Spike Freeman, another character in the groups X-Statix and X-Force.
The Spike (Darian Elliott) is a character in the series X-Statix from Marvel Comics. He first appeared in X-Force #121, and was created by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred. He is a mutant with superhuman powers.
Fictional character biography
After watching video footage of independent hero the Spike in action, the Santa Monica, California-based mutant-superhero group X-Statix agrees to have him join the team. Almost from the first, his antagonistic nature creates fighting and tension among himself and team-members Vivisector, Phat, the Anarchist, U-Go Girl, and Lacuna.
During a battle with the mutant terrorist group the Brotherhood, the Spike aids the Orphan in killing one of the Brotherhood members by impaling her as she fell backwards from the Orphan’s punch.[volume & issue needed] In another battle, in Central America, the Spike and the Anarchist competed to kill as many militiamen as possible.[volume & issue needed] Sometime later, after seeing Vivisector and Phat holding hands, the Spike's homophobic reaction causes another rift with the team.[volume & issue needed] The Spike eventually is killed by an impostor, who is himself then killed.[volume & issue needed]
Powers and abilities
The spike could generate razor-sharp spikes from his body, which he could fire outward with deadly accuracy.
Other comic characters named Spike
- Spike Freeman is also associated with X-Statix.
- A member of The People was known as Spike. The youth had six arms but apparently perished in the destruction of her mansion. She first appeared (and perished in) Sub-Mariner vol. 1, #42
- Spike is also the name of a Deviant mutant, who along with Coal and String, was sent by Ghaur to retrieve the Proteus Horn which could summon undersea monsters. He was mistaken for Sunspot by Namorita. He first appeared in New Mutants Annual #5
- A member of Hellbent was also called Spike. He could fire spikes that caused delusions. He first appeared in Moon Knight vol. 3, #58.
- An agent of Rainman is known as Spike as well. He was forced to give information about the Rainman by the White Tiger and first appeared in Crew #2.
- There was also a similar character named Spike who was a student at the Xavier Institute, introduced in New X-Men # 126. This Spike was also a friend to Kid Omega, a mutant who went insane.
- A student of the Xavier Institute named Spike appeared in X-Men vol. 2, #134.
- Another student from Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Spyke, starred in the early 2000s animated series X-Men Evolution. He is the nephew of Storm.
In other media
In the movie X-Men: The Last Stand, a "Spike" character portrayed by Lance Gibson appeared in a battle with Wolverine, where he was depicted with the ability to extrude bony spikes from his flesh and hurl them with great speed and force. The battle culminates in a mutual stabbing, which only Wolverine recovers from due to his healing factor; Spike is presumed dead but not shown again.