Spink County, South Dakota
|Spink County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Named for||S.L. Spink|
|• Total||1,510 sq mi (3,911 km2)|
|• Land||1,504 sq mi (3,895 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (16 km2), 0.41%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- Brown County, South Dakota - north
- Day County, South Dakota - northeast
- Clark County, South Dakota - east
- Beadle County, South Dakota - south
- Hand County, South Dakota - southwest
- Faulk County, South Dakota - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,454 people, 2,847 households, and 1,933 families residing in the county. The population density was 5 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 3,352 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.56% White, 0.21% Black or African American, 1.48% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. 0.39% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,847 households out of which 30.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.60% were married couples living together, 6.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.10% were non-families. 29.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.60% under the age of 18, 6.70% from 18 to 24, 26.10% from 25 to 44, 22.60% from 45 to 64, and 18.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 107.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,717, and the median income for a family was $37,114. Males had a median income of $25,065 versus $20,386 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,728. About 10.20% of families and 12.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.20% of those under age 18 and 9.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Ashton (Population:122)
- Brentford (Population:77)
- Conde (Population:140)
- Doland (Population:180)
- Frankfort (Population:149)
- Mansfield (Population:93)
- Mellette (Population:210)
- Northville (Population:143)
- Redfield (Population:2,333)
- Tulare (Population:207)
- Turton (Population:48
The county is divided into thirty-seven townships: Antelope, Athol, Belle Plaine, Belmont, Benton, Beotia, Buffalo, Capitola, Clifton, Conde, Cornwall, Crandon, Exline, Frankfort, Garfield, Great Bend, Groveland, Harmony, Harrison, Jefferson, Lake, La Prairie, Lincoln, Lodi, Mellette, Northville, Olean, Prairie Center, Redfield, Richfield, Spring, Sumner, Tetonka, Three Rivers, Tulare, Turton, Union.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
||Brown County||Day County|
|Faulk County||Clark County|
|Hand County||Beadle County|