|Single by Keane|
|from the album Perfect Symmetry|
|Released||4 August 2008
(See Release history)
|Format||Digital download, 7" vinyl|
|Recorded||2008, Teldex Studios, Berlin|
|Length||4:19 (album version)
3:26 (radio edit)
|Keane singles chronology|
"Spiralling" is a song released by Keane, on 4 August 2008 at 10:59 (CEST) as the first single of their third album, Perfect Symmetry. It was released in a similar fashion to that of "Atlantic" as a digital download only single; however, it was available as a free download from Keanemusic.com for the first week of release. On 31 July, the message "When we fall in love, we're just falling in love with ourselves" appeared on the band's website in reference to the track. On 11 August 2008, the song was released as an official digital download on various online music stores. The song was said to be inspired by wrestling legend Ric Flair who Tom Chaplin described as a personal hero for his try hard mentality in the ring. His trademark "woo" inspired the song. Frontman Tom Chaplin described the song as "a train of thought about human endeavour, built on an outrageous groove".[this quote needs a citation]
The song went on to become the most broadcast song of the world during its first week of release, as well as the fastest-downloading song ever for Universal, reaching 500,000 downloads in less than a week.
It also spent a total of 18 weeks in the UK Singles Chart despite only being a download single.
UK 7" vinyl
- A special one-sided limited edition 7" of 1,000 copies of the single was released and sent to members of the messageboard. The single came inside a special box designed to contain the remaining singles of the "Perfect Symmetry era" (similar to the one released with "Atlantic")
US 7" vinyl
- "Spiralling" (Diplo vs Keane Mad Spirals Mix)
- Promo issued on Interscope with the same artwork as the UK version.
The music video for "Spiralling" was released on the Keane Official Website on 26 September. Composer Tim Rice-Oxley left a note reading "Andras Ketzer has perfectly represented the difference between the idealised dream and the dystopian reality of human existence". It features robots walking in such a manner of the I, Robot film adaptation and shots of lead singer Tom Chaplin staring at TV sets while sitting in a couch. There are also shots of him singing the song from inside a blue room.
|United Kingdom||4 August 2008|
|Mexico||5 August 2008|
On 17 August 2008, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at #28 on downloads alone and peaked at #23 without a video or physical release. The song has spent 10 weeks in the UK Top 40 without entering the Top 20. Despite remaining as Keane's longest lasting single in the UK Top 100 (18 weeks), it became the band's joint-lowest charting single at the time mainly due to it not being physically released. However, it marked the band's ninth consecutive UK Top 40 single.
On 5 October 2008, the song re-entered the UK Singles Chart at #36 and peaked at #23 again.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||41|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||22|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||52|
|European Hot 100 Singles||66|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||83|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||12|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||23|
- Keanemusic countdown; calculated with clock synchronized from UTC.
- "Keaneshaped - Spiralling". Retrieved 30 July 2008.
- "Music Week: Keane return in Perfect Symmetry". Archived from the original on 22 August 2008. Retrieved 1 August 2008.
- "Keane on Universal Music México". Retrieved 26 September 2008.[dead link]
- "Interscope Records". Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "World exclusive! Keane perform for GQ". Retrieved 3 September 2008.[dead link]
- "Keane Land Best Track Award - Q Awards 2008". Retrieved 6 October 2008.
- "Keane official forum". Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- [dead link]
- "Ultratop.be – Keane – Spiralling" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Keane – Spiralling" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Keane search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.