Spirit of Dubai
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Spirit of Dubai|
|The Spirit of Dubai at her mooring on the UK leg of her 2006 tour. Scale is indicated by the two aircraft technicians below her.|
|Owners and operators||Skycruise Switzerland AG., operated by Airship Management Services.|
|In service||From November 1986|
|Fate||In revenue service|
Spirit of Dubai is one of three Skyship 600 aircraft operated by Airship Management Services of Greenwich, CT, USA. These ships are currently the world's largest currently operating non-rigid airships.[note 1] The airship, N605SK (s/n 1215-05) and was originally built by Airship Industries in Cardington, UK in November 1986 and it is owned and operated by Skycruise Switzerland AG. Airship Industries was bought by Westinghouse Corporation in the very early 1990s.
In November 2006, the ship was leased and decorated with new artwork and flown under the name Spirit of Dubai. The ship is planned to make a publicity tour from London to Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The journey is being undertaken to promote a new land development, The Palm Jumeirah in Dubai. It is planned that the journey will take in landmarks including Big Ben, the London Eye and Tower Bridge in London, Stonehenge and the White Cliffs of Dover in England, the Eiffel Tower and Palace of Versailles in Paris, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Colosseum in Rome, the Parthenon in Athens, and the Great Pyramids in Egypt.
The airship made it to the island of Crete. The next leg of the journey was planned to go through Egypt. However, for reasons unexplained, the Egyptian authorities refused to grant permission for the airship to make the trip. In the spring of 2007 the ship returned to Europe for use in sightseeing. Prior to its departure from London, the aircraft was used for sightseeing tours in Switzerland under its owner/operator company name Skycruise Switzerland.
Specifications (Skyship 600)
Data from 
- Crew: 2 (on-board)
- Capacity: 12
- Length: 66 m (39 ft 5 in)
- Height: 22 m (72 ft 2 in)
- Volume: 7,600 m3 (268,391 ft3)
- Powerplant: 2 × Porsche 930 Six cylinder opposed Turbo Charged piston engines, 190.15 kW (255 hp) each
- Cruising speed: 40 km/h (25 mph)
- Range: 644 km (400 miles)
- Service ceiling: 2133.6 m (7,000 ft)
- the Zeppelin NT is a larger airship, but is a semi-rigid design.
- "Our Airships". USA. 2006. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- Spirit of Dubai MySpace
- Press coverage of the start of the publicity tour.
- Official Tour Website—Contains photo galleries, pilot's blog, etc.
- Airship Management Services—Operators of the designation Skyship 600.
- Skycruiser Switzerland AG—Owner and Operator of N605SK, This Skyship 600 performs sightseeing passenger flights during the Summer months.