|Genres||Hip hop Christian Rap|
Just Enuf/Jimmy Nice
In 2006, Spit Syndicate debuted by releasing a mixtape CD: The Future's Bright.
Not a great deal of planning went into the mixtape; we had a bunch of hot verses we'd keep writing to beats that weren’t ours, and we had a handful of original tracks we just wanted to get something out there to show the people what we can do. Granted, it’s nothing too deep content-wise, but its gotten our name out there.—Nick Lupi
Since bursting onto the local music scene in 2007, Sydney duo Spit Syndicate have established themselves as some of the country’s most exciting new hip-hop groups. Hailing from Sydney’s Inner West, rappers Nick Lupi (22) and Jimmy Nice (23) have steadily developed an electric buzz and loyal following across the country.
The duo have toured New South Wales with Bliss N Eso twice, and have opened for international acts such as Cypress Hill, Xzibit, Ice Cube, Lupe Fiasco, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, People Under The Stairs, Diverse, Savage + Mareko and were billed to support Fabolous before his tour was cancelled. Spit Syndicate have also appeared on MTV’s 'The Lair'.
We actually signed on the dotted line in February of this year, but we started talking to them in about November of last year. We were both overseas during the summer and we had this album ready and we were gonna put it out when we got back, it was just a matter of who we did it with.—Nick Lupi
In July 2008 the duo released their debut album, Towards the Light. Production credits on Towards the Light feature Jase, M-Phazes and Fame with an appearance from L.A. producer Ro Blvd (Common, Lupe Fiasco), with contributions from emerging Sydney artists including Rowan Dix and Sarah Corry and featuring guest spots from MCs Fame (Overproof) and Solo (Horrorshow). The album was nominated for 'Best Urban Release' at the 2008 ARIA Music Awards.
In February 2010, Spit Syndicate played as one of the local artists booked at the Sydney Good Vibrations Festival 2010. In May 2010, they released their second studio album, Exile, which reached #81 on the Australian album charts. They also performed "Long Winding Road" on M-Phazes' debut album, Good Gracious.
In October 2012 the duo released the first single, "Beauty in the Bricks", from their upcoming third studio album, Sunday Gentlemen. The second single, "Folly", was released on 25 January 2013. The album was released on 22 February 2013. Featuring artist include Drapht, Illy and Solo, and production is accredited to Adit of Horrorshow, J-Skub and Styalz Fuego.
- The Future's Bright mixtape (2006)
- Towards the Light - Obese (OBR058) (19 July 2008)
- Exile - Obese (OBR072) (14 May 2010) #81 AUS
- Best Intentions PART 1 mixtape (2011)
- Best Intentions PART 2 mixtape (2013)
- Sunday Gentlemen - Obese (22 February 2013)
- "Starry Eyed" - Obese (OBR 072 55) (April 2010)
- "Beauty in the Bricks" - Obese (5 October 2012)
- "Folly" - Obese (25 January 2013)
Awards and nominations
- 2008 ARIA Nomination - Best Urban Release - Towards the Light
- "Emerging Artists dominate the2008 ARIA nominations" (pdf). Australian Recording Industry Association. 10 September 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "A chat with Spit Syndicate". Heavyweight magazine. 18 August 2006. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Spit Syndicate@J Play". J Play. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Obese sign Spit Syndicate". Triple J. 2 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- Carr, Michael. "Obese Records: Spit Syndicate". Music Feeds. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Spit Syndicate: Towards the Light". Sanity music. Retrieved 2008-11-20.[dead link]
- "Spit Syndicate - Towards The Light". Planet Urban. Retrieved 2008-11-20.[dead link]