Splendor in the Grass is the fourth full-length album from the band Pink Martini. It was released in October 27, 2009 on their own label Heinz Records.
The album is named after its third track, and features songs in five languages (English, Spanish, Italian, French, and Neapolitan). Collaborators included National Public Radio correspondent Ari Shapiro singing on the track "But Now I'm Back" and Sesame Street performer Emilio Delgado on a cover of Joe Raposo's "Sing". Other covers included on the album are "Piensa en mí", written by Agustín Lara and his sister Maria Teresa Lara for the 1948 film Revancha; "Tuca Tuca", originally performed by Raffaella Carrà; and the Moondog song "New Amsterdam".
The album debuted at No. 45 on the Billboard 200 and No. 10 on Top Independent Albums with 12,000 copies sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The album was certified platinum in Greece.
||Alba Clemente, Massimo Audiello
||"Ohayoo Ohio (Hello Ohio)"
||"Splendor in the Grass"
||Alex Marashian, Thomas Lauderdale,
||"Où est ma tête?" (Where Is My Head?)
||Marashian, China Forbes, Lauderdale
||"And Then You're Gone"
||Marashian, Derek Rieth, Forbes, Lauderdale
||"But Now I'm Back" (vocal by Ari Shapiro)
||"Over the Valley"
||"Tuca tuca" (cover of Raffaella Carrà, 1970)
||Gianni Boncompagni, Franco Pisano
||"Bitty Boppy Betty"
||"Sing" (vocal by Emilio Delgado)
||"Piensa en mí" (Vocal by Chavela Vargas)
||Agustín Lara, Maria Teresa Lara
||"New Amsterdam" (cover of Moondog, 1994)
- Hugo Alfvén
- Neil Anderson - Choir, Chorus
- Jennifer Arnold - Viola
- Phil Baker - Guitar, Sitar, Bass
- John Bartley - Choir, Chorus
- Joel Belgique - Viola
- Christopher Benjamin - Choir, Chorus
- Heather Blackburn - Cello
- Gavin Bondy - Trumpet, Cornet, Horn (Alto), Vocals, Piccolo Trumpet, Brass Arrangement, Saxophone Arrangement
- Joe Bozzi - Mastering
- Karen Brooks - Toy Piano
- João Canziani - Cover Photo
- Pansy Chang - Cello
- Julie Coleman - Violin
- Nicholas Crosa - Violin
- Brian Davis - Percussion
- Emilio Delgado - Vocals
- Daniel Dempsey - Choir, Chorus
- Gregory Ewer - Violin
- Joy Fabos - Violin
- Dan Faehnle - Guitar
- China Forbes - Vocals
- Dave Friedlander - Engineer, Mixing
- Paloma Griffin - Violin
- Bernie Grundman - Mastering
- Doree Jarboe - Direction
- Timothy Jensen - Saxophone, Brass Arrangement, Saxophone Arrangement
- Ben Landsverk - Group
- Thomas Lauderdale - Piano, Producer, Photography
- Maureen Love - Harp
- Peter Murray - Photography
- Timothy Nishimoto - Percussion, Vocals
- Charles Noble - Viola
- Derek Rieth - Percussion
- Courtney Taylor-Taylor - guitar on "Splendor in the Grass"
- Salvador Tercero - Vocal Engineer
- Chavela Vargas - Vocals
- Martin Zarzar - Percussion, Vocals, Brass Arrangement