Location of Splendora, Texas
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2)|
|• Density||600/sq mi (230/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1347662|
Splendora is located at (30.220237, -95.167232).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,275 people, 434 households, and 352 families residing in the city. The population density was 603.8 people per square mile (233.3/km²). There were 470 housing units at an average density of 222.6 per square mile (86.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.82% White, 0.31% African American, 0.78% Native American, 1.10% Asian, 1.80% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.25% of the population.
There were 434 households out of which 46.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.5% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.7% were non-families. 14.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.93 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the city the population was spread out with 32.7% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 19.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,211, and the median income for a family was $41,917. Males had a median income of $31,063 versus $23,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,008. About 9.1% of families and 12.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.1% of those under age 18 and 9.7% of those age 65 or over.
It was the home of artist James Surls.
Government and infrastructure
Children who live in Splendora attend schools within the Splendora Independent School District. Splendora High School's mascot is the Wildcats.
- Brian Robison, Minnesota Vikings football player. Roma Ransom Jackson Sr., founder of Roma Jackson & The Tennessee Pals (bluegrass band), is buried at Splendora Cemetery. Jessica Meeks, founder of the "Splendora Nay Nay" dance, was put to rest in the Splendora Cemetery as well in 1887, when the City was young.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Post Office Location - SPLENDORA." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 8, 2008.
- "History." North Harris Montgomery Community College District. December 22, 2002. Retrieved on April 5, 2010.