||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2015)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2014)|
|Founder||Michael Baum, Rob Das and Erik Swan|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Revenue||US$267.94 Million (2014)|
Number of employees
Splunk is an American multinational corporation based in San Francisco, California, which produces software for searching, monitoring, and analyzing machine-generated big data, via a web-style interface.
Splunk aims to make machine data accessible across an organization and identifies data patterns, provides metrics, diagnoses problems and provides intelligence for business operation. Splunk is a horizontal technology used for application management, security and compliance, as well as business and web analytics. Splunk has over 7,900 customers worldwide.
The company was started in 2003 by co-founders Michael Baum, Rob Das and Erik Swan. The name "Splunk" is a reference to exploring caves, as in spelunking. Splunk is based in San Francisco, with regional operations across EMEA and Asia and has over 900 employees. Splunk is venture funded, having raised 40 million USD by 2007 and became profitable in 2009. In 2012, Splunk had its initial public offering, trading under NASDAQ symbol SPLK. In September 2013, the company bought Bugsense, a mobile device data analytics company.
Splunk can perform real-time and historical search, as well as reporting and statistical analysis. The product can index structured or unstructured textual machine-generated data. Search and analytics operations are specified using Search Processing Language, created for managing machine-generated big data. Originally based upon Unix Piping and SQL, its scope includes data searching, filtering, modification, manipulation, insertion, and deletion.
In 2011, Splunk released Splunk Storm, a cloud-based version of the core Splunk product. Splunk Storm offers a turnkey, managed and hosted service for machine data.
In 2013, Splunk announced that Splunk Storm would become a completely free service and expanded its cloud offering with Splunk Cloud.
Splunk offers its main software in two license types: an Enterprise License designed for companies and large organizations, and a gratis License designed for personal use. The freeware version is limited to 500 MB of data a day, and lacks some features of the Enterprise license edition.
As of the release of Splunk Cloud, Splunk Storm is free and includes 20GB of data storage.
Splunk was designed for use in information technology operations; it is also used in other ways. Users in IT operations include Metropcs, Ceryx, and Denver Water. Cars.com, Domino's Pizza, and National Public Radio are among those who use it for web analytics. In the Internet of Things it is used by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Department of Drainage and Sewage to send alerts, by Eglin Air Force Base for energy conservation, by Nest Labs to analyze thermostat data, by iRhythm to check on product performance and by an elevator company to monitor elevator usage. In computer security it is used by the University of Connecticut, and by federal and state agencies. It is used to help with regulatory compliance by Barclays bank, Credit Suisse, Monster.com,  and Sportsbet.com.au.
- Baum et al. "Machine Data Web, United States Patent 7,937,344". United States Patent Office. Retrieved July 1, 2005.
- Baum et al. "Time Series Search Engine, United States Patent 8,112,425". United States Patent Office. Retrieved August 28, 2006.
- "How Splunk Is Riding IT Search Toward an IPO — Tech News and Analysis". Gigaom.com. 2010-12-17. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Start-Ups Aim to Help Tame Corporate Data, Pui-Wing Tam, Wall Street Journal, September 08, 2009
- [dead link]
- Central, CIO (2010-12-15). "How CIOs Should Be Helping Marketers". Forbes.
- "Splunk's (SPLK) CEO Godfrey Sullivan on Q2 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript".
- Data Center Search Party: ComputerWorld
- Hoge, Patrick (January 21, 2011). "Splunk doubles 2010 revenue".
- Splunk search engine raises $25 million, IT PRO 12 Sep 2007
- "IT search company Splunk reaches profitability". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Splunk Announces Agreement to Acquire BugSense". Splunk. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- "Splunk Storm brings log management to the cloud". InfoWorld. 2012-08-28.
- "Splunk Spawns Hunk Hadoop Tool". Information Week. 2013-06-18.
- "Splunk Announces General Availability of Splunk Cloud". Wall Street Journal Marketwatch. 2013-10-01.
- Cash in on free IT management software for a limited time only, Denise Dubie, Network World, November 01, 2009
- Free SIM Tools Save Money -- And Maybe Your Data, John Sar, DarkReading, June 12, 2009
- "Splunk Unveils Splunk Cloud". Cloud Hosting. 2013-10-04.
- "Splunk CEO: Unintended use cases important to machine data business". Computer Weekly. 2013-04-30.
- "Carriers call up mobile data". Financial Times. 2013-03-18.
- "Splunk Enterprise Helps Ceryx Achieve ROI of 200 percent". Information Technology. 2013-01-17.
- "SDenver Water Uses Big Data to Improve Efficiency". Government Technology Magazine. 2013-10-04.
- "Big data drives high performance for Cars.com". Information World. 2013-10-24.
- "Big data drives high performance for Cars.com". Fierce CIO. 2012-10-24.
- "Security tool delivers surprise insights to Domino's Pizza". Network World. 2012-12-02.
- "NPR Deploys Splunk for Web Analytics". CIO Magazine. 2011-03-24.
- "Erecting Operational Intelligence Using Machine Data". Datanami. 2013-04-09.
- "Eglin Air Force Base Deploys Sensors to Save Energy". Energy Manager Today. 2013–2013. Check date values in:
- "Our connected future: what to expect when elevators and toys start phoning home". GigaOM. 2013-05-10.
- "Can Big Dats Help Universities Tackle Security BYOD?". CIO Magazine. 2012-07-31.
- "Can automated security put agencies a step ahead of the hackers?". GCN. 2013-06-14.
- "Barclays tackles complex regulatory environment with Splunk". Computerworld UK. 2013-04-18.
- "'Without Splunk we might be taken out of the market,' says Barclays". Computing Magazine UK. 2013-04-19.
- "Monster Chooses Splunk For Big Data Security". Information Week Healthcare. 2012-11-14.
- "Sportsbet reduces pain of PCI compliance". CIO Magazine. 2013-05-09.