Sports Authority of India
The Sports Authority of India (SAI) (Hindi: भारतीय खेल प्राधिकरण) is a body set up by the Government of India. It was created in 1984 to help promote sport throughout the country. Presently, it has seven regional centres at Bangalore, Bhopal, Gandhinagar, Kolkata, Sonepat, Delhi, Mumbai and Imphal and two sub-centres at Guwahati and Aurangabad. Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, Patiala, the Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education, Thiruvananthapuram are the major sports institutes run by this body. It has also a High Altitude Training Centre at Shillaroo, Himachal Pradesh.
After independence, on May 7, 1961 the National Institute of Sports (NIS) was set up for the development of sports at the [Moti Bagh Palace| Motibagh Palace] grounds in Patiala. On January 23, 1973, it was renamed Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS). On January 25, 1984, Sports Authority of India was established as a registered society. On May 1, 1987 the Society for National Institute of Physical Education and Sports (SNIPES) was merged with it and as a result, the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS), Patiala and its allied centres at Bhopal, Bangalore, Kolkata and Gandhinagar and the Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education at Thiruvananthapuram came under Sports Authority of India. The NSNIS, Patiala and the Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education, Thiruvananthapuram became its academic wings.
SAI Sports Promotional Schemes
The Sports Authority of India conducts various activities and schemes to promote sports in India. they include:
- National Sports Talent Contest Scheme (NSTC) - for Sub-Junior level trainees
- Army Boys Sports Company Scheme (ABSC) - for Sub-Junior level trainees
- SAI Training Centres Scheme (STC) - for Junior level trainees
- Extension Centre of STC /SAG
- Special Area Games Scheme (SAG) - for Junior level trainees
- Centre of Excellence Scheme (COX) - for Senior level trainees
SAI has two Academic Wings which provide certificate courses in physical education, sports ans sports medicine, namely, Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS), Patiala for coaches and the Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education (LNCPE) at Thiruvananthapuram.
NSNIS, Patiala conducts the following programmes:
- Diploma Course in Sports Coaching
- Masters Course in Sports Coaching
- Certificate Course in Sports Coaching
- Post-graduate Diploma Course in Sports Medicine
- Refresher Courses
LNCPE, Thiruvananthapuram conducts the following courses :
- Bachelor of Physical Education (BPE)
- Master of Physical Education (MPE)
- Regular and Part-time Ph.D programmes