Spotlight (Jennifer Hudson song)
|Single by Jennifer Hudson|
|from the album Jennifer Hudson|
|Released||June 10, 2008
(see Release history)
|Format||CD single, music download|
|Writer(s)||Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Shaffer Smith|
|Producer(s)||Ne-Yo and Stargate|
|Jennifer Hudson singles chronology|
"Spotlight" is an R&B song written and produced by Ne-Yo and Norwegian production duo Stargate for Jennifer Hudson's self titled debut album. It was released digitally on June 10, 2008 as the album's first single, and reached the top thirty of the US Billboard Hot 100. Outside the States, the track has reached the top twenty in Turkey and the United Kingdom.
The song received generally positive reviews. About.com said that "If you were one of the people wondering if Jennifer Hudson could sustain her vocal energy, power and passion on a full album like she did in the role of Effie in the movie Dreamgirls and like she also does on the album's opening song and first single, "Spotlight," then wonder no more: the answer's a definite yes. "Spotlight" exemplifies the album as a whole: it's got a strong, independent woman singing strongly about love and relationships. In this case, the song is about a controlling lover: "If I'm just love's prisoner, then I'm bustin' out," she sings." AllHipHop said that "“Spotlight” as catchy as it is was not debut single-worthy, and a brand new artist wouldn't have been looked at twice; but because it was Jennifer (and penned by Ne-Yo) attention was paid.". Allmusic said that " 'Spotlight' was both promising and satisfying, nearly a dead-center bull's-eye — dramatic but not over the top, powerful but not a gratuitous fireworks display, a melancholy but striking midtempo track with a gently thumping four-four pulse." Digital Spy said that Hudson "navigates the emotional complexities of 'Spotlight', on which she plays a downtrodden girlfriend". New York Daily News said that the song's "trendy, staccato backup vocals give the song spine. Better, the character presented by the lyrics - a put-upon woman who's finally stepping out - fits Hudson's persona as the angry queen of payback." Slant magazine said that "Lead single "Spotlight" is a serviceable, pulsating, you-did-me-wrong jam that is, thanks to Stargate and Ne-Yo, perfectly in line with today's trends." The Times said the song "is predictably mid-tempo as it tries to please all her fan bases at once."
The song's music video was directed by Chris Robinson and Hudson introduced its premiere screening on BET's 106 and Park on June 24, 2008. Ryan Gentles from the plays Madea Goes to Jail and Diary of a Mad Black Woman appears in the video as Hudson's love interest.
Hudson appears talking on her cellphone to her friend, complaining about her over-protective boyfriend. After she gets off her cellphone, she puts on a jacket and a scarf and leave her house into an alley, then entering a nightclub, dancing and having a good time until she sees her boyfriend Gentles. She then takes his hand and leads him into a white room with stripes telling him that she loves him but that he needs to realize that she is a good girl and not to worry before it is too late. Towards the end of the video, Hudson is walking down a runway with her boyfriend sitting in front of the runway. The video ends with Hudson getting off her cellphone. A bottle of Campari is prominently displayed in the video in a scene featuring Hudson and Gentles at the nightclub.
"Spotlight" peaked at number twenty-four on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Hudson her first top thirty hit to date on the chart. The song also peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, spending two consecutive weeks at number one.
On September 21, 2008, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number fifteen on downloads alone. It is her first top twenty hit in the United Kingdom, and climbed to number eleven on September 28 despite there being no CD single release. It also peaked at number one on UK Airplay Chart. All in all the song performed better on the charts in the United Kingdom than in her native United States. In 2008, "Spotlight" was the biggest selling non-top ten single of the year.
Formats and tracklistings
These are the formats and track listings of major single-releases of "Spotlight".
Charts and certifications
Radio and release history
|United States||June 9, 2008||Airplay||Arista|
|June 10, 2008||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||October 20, 2008||CD single|
- ASCAP ACE - Search Results. American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Retrieved on 2008-06-14.
- Cohen, Jonathan (2008-05-19). Debut Jennifer Hudson Album Due In September. Billboard. Retrieved on 2008-06-14.
- "Chart performance". aCharts.us. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- "New Jennifer Hudson CD is no 'Dreamgirls'". Daily News (New York). September 29, 2008.
- Elan, Priya (September 27, 2008). "Jennifer Hudson Jennifer Hudson". The Times (London). Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- Jennifer Hudson Spotlight Music Video. MySpace TV.com
- » VIDEO: JENNIFER HUDSON - SPOTLIGHT // 'CONCRETELOOP.COM' - quality not quantity
- Jonathan Cohen (October 23, 2008). T.I. Returns To No. 1 On The Hot 100 Billboard. Accessed October 23, 2008.
- "Official Singles Chart for the week ending 27 September 2008". ChartsPlus (Milton Keynes: IQ Ware Ltd) (370): 1–4.
- "Australian-charts.com – Jennifer Hudson – Spotlight". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson – Spotlight – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Jennifer Hudson. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Jennifer Hudson. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Jennifer Hudson. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jennifer Hudson – Spotlight". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jennifer Hudson. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Jennifer Hudson. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Jennifer Hudson Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Jennifer Hudson. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "British single certifications – Jennifer Hudson – Spotlight". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved April 19, 2014. Enter Spotlight in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
"Whatever You Like" by T.I.
|Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs number-one single
October 25, 2008 - November 1, 2008
"Miss Independent" by Ne-Yo