Spread the Net
|Founder(s)||Belinda Stronach and Rick Mercer|
|Area served||Uganda, Rwanda, Liberia, Guinea|
|Motto||“1 Net. 10 Bucks. Save Lives.”|
Spread the Net is a charitable organization that aims to reduce malaria in the African nations. It was co-founded by Rick Mercer, a Canadian satirist, and Belinda Stronach, a former Canadian Member of Parliament and philanthropist. A partnership with UNICEF Canada has allowed Spread the Net to achieve the goal of distributing 500,000 insecticide-treated bed nets to Liberia and Rwanda. Spread the Net now works with its partners to combat malaria. The campaign has donated over 539,000 nets since its founding.
In 2006, Rick Mercer and Belinda Stronach travelled to Africa along with Professor Jeffrey D. Sachs, director of the UN Millennium Project, in preparation to co-host the Millennium Promise Convention in Montreal on November 9, 2006. At the convention, Mercer and Stronach, along with Jeffrey Sachs and Nigel Fisher, President and CEO of UNICEF Canada, announced their intention to begin the Spread the Net campaign, and raise $5 million for insecticide treated bed nets to be given to children and pregnant women in Liberia and Rwanda.One X One founder Joey Adler and Millennium Promise Conference founder Daniel Germain each gave $150,000 to the campaign at the conference. The first order for 33,000 bed nets was made on March 28, 2007.
By December 2011, Spread the Net achieved its founding goal; 500,000 nets distributed to pregnant women and children in Liberia and Rwanda. Spread the Net has teamed with Plan Canada, working together to deliver another 250,000 nets, this time to the African nation of Guniea.
In 2007, Spread the Net started fund raising in Canadian Schools. Every year, a competition is presented to schools across Canada, and the school that raises the most to donate would be visited by Rick Mercer. Between 2007 and 2008 over 250 schools participated raising $300,000. Dalhousie University won the challenge by raising $19,000
- Spread the Net High School Campaign
- What is Spread the Net?
- Prof. Jeffrey Sachs, Director
- "Stronach joins Clinton at anti-poverty session". CTV News. November 9, 2006. Retrieved March 12, 2009.
- "Belinda Stronach and Rick Mercer launch anti-malarial bednet campaign:"Spread the Net" with UNICEF Canada" (Press release). UNICEF. November 9, 2006. Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- "UNICEF: Spread the Net Announces First Purchase of 33,000 Anti- Malarial Bed Nets for Liberia Liberian President applauds Belinda Stronach, Rick Mercer and UNICEF Canada's Nigel Fisher for Spread the Net initiative". CCNMatthews Newswire. March 28, 2007.
- About the Spread the Net Student Challenge
- "Spread the Net update". Dalhousie University News. February 23, 2009. Retrieved March 12, 2009.