Springer Science+Business Media
|Country of origin||Germany|
|Headquarters location||Berlin, Heidelberg|
|Nonfiction topics||Science, technology, medicine, business, transport and architecture|
Springer Science+Business Media or Springer is a global publishing company that publishes books, e-books and peer-reviewed journals in science, technical and medical (STM) publishing. Springer also hosts a number of scientific databases, including SpringerLink, Springer Protocols, and SpringerImages. Book publications include major reference works, textbooks, monographs and book series; more than 88,000 titles are available as e-books in 18 subject collections. Springer has major offices in Berlin, Heidelberg, Dordrecht, and New York City.
Julius Springer founded Springer-Verlag in Berlin in 1842. In 1964, Springer expanded its business internationally, opening an office in New York. Offices in Tokyo, Paris, Milan, Hong Kong, and Delhi soon followed.
The academic publishing company BertelsmannSpringer was formed after Bertelsmann bought a majority stake in Springer-Verlag in 1999. The British investment groups Cinven and Candover bought BertelsmannSpringer from Bertelsmann in 2003. They merged the company in 2004 with the Dutch publisher Kluwer Academic Publishers which they bought from Wolters Kluwer in 2002, to form Springer Science+Business Media.
In 2009, Cinven and Candover sold Springer to two private equity firms, EQT Partners and Government of Singapore Investment Corporation. The closing of the sale was confirmed in February 2010 after the competition authorities in the USA and in Europe approved the transfer.
In 2011, it acquired Pharma Marketing and Publishing Services from Wolters Kluwer.
Springer provides its electronic book and journal content on its SpringerLink site, which launched in 1996.
SpringerProtocols is home to a collection of protocols, recipes which provide step-by-step instructions for conducting experiments in research labs.
SpringerImages was launched in 2008 and offers a collection of currently 1.8 million images spanning science, technology, and medicine.
SpringerMaterials was launched in 2009 and is a platform for accessing the Landolt-Börnstein database of research and information on materials and their properties.
AuthorMapper is a free online tool for visualizing scientific research that enables document discovery based on author locations and geographic maps. The tool helps users explore patterns in scientific research, identify literature trends, discover collaborative relationships, and locate experts in several scientific/medical fields.
For some of its journals, Springer does not require its authors to transfer their copyrights, and allows them to decide whether their articles are published under an open-access license or in the traditional restricted license model. While open-access publishing typically requires the author to pay a fee for copyright retention, this fee is sometimes covered by a third party. For example, a national institution in Poland allows authors to publish in open-access journals without incurring any personal cost - but using public funds. 
- BioMed Central
- Birkhäuser Verlag
- Current Medicine Group
- Humana Press
- Key Curriculum Press
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Plenum Publishers
- Springer Asia
- Springer France
- Springer Italy
- Springer India
- Springer Japan
- Springer Spektrum
- Encyclopaedia of Mathematics
- Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete (Book series)
- Graduate Texts in Mathematics (Book series)
- Grothendieck's Séminaire de géométrie algébrique
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Springer Series in Surface Sciences (Book series)
- Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics (Book series)
- Zentralblatt MATH
- List of publishers
- Media concentration
- Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, of which Springer is a member (due to its Open Access branch, Springer Open)
- "648808Z Profile & Executives - Springer Science+Business Media GmbH - Bloomberg". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "History". Springer Science+Business Media.
- "Chronology". Springer Science+Business Media.
- Poynder, Richard. "BertelsmannSpringer is Sold to Private Equity Firms". Information Today. May 27, 2003.
- "Kluwer Academic Publishers Sold to Venture Capitalists"
- Shah, Maulik. "Springer Acquisition".
- BC Partners to Buy Springer Science for $4.4 Billion
- Springer Open Choice
- Springer Open Choice for Polish Institutions