Location in Bay County and the state of Florida
|• Mayor||Ralph Hammond|
|• Total||4.6 sq mi (11.8 km2)|
|• Land||4.3 sq mi (11.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||26 ft (8 m)|
|• Density||2,000/sq mi (770/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0291570|
Springfield is a city in Bay County, Florida, United States, east of Panama City. The population was 8,903 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Panama City–Lynn Haven–Panama City Beach Metropolitan Statistical Area. Springfield was incorporated on February 12, 1935.
Unlike much of Bay County, Springfield has been mostly left out of the recent real estate boom, possibly due to the large and odoriferous chemical mill and paper plant on the city's waterfront.
Springfield is located at (30.165451, -85.610525).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.6 square miles (11.8 km2). 4.3 square miles (11.2 km2) of it is land and 0.23 square miles (0.6 km2) of it (4.88%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,903 people, 3,478 households, and 2,209 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,070.5 inhabitants per square mile (794.9/km²). There were 4,238 housing units at an average density of 985.6 per square mile (378.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 66.0% White, 23.8% African American, 0.7% American Indian or Alaska Native, 3.8% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, 1.9% some other race, and 3.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.8% of the population.
There were 3,478 households, out of which 27.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.8% were headed by married couples living together, 19.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.5% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.9% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52, and the average family size was 3.07.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 11.2% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34.9 years. For every 100 females there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.7 males.
At the 2012 census, the median income for a household in the city was $36,693. The per capita income for the city was $18,001. About 15.3% of families and 21.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.7% of those under age 18 and 15.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Springfield city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Springfield city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- City of Springfield, FL Official website