Springfield Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Springfield Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Jefferson County
|• Total||30.7 sq mi (79.5 km2)|
|• Land||30.7 sq mi (79.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||902 ft (275 m)|
|• Density||83.7/sq mi (32.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086385|
Springfield Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,568 people in the township, 1,231 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the far western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Fox Township, Carroll County - north
- Brush Creek Township - northeast
- Ross Township - east
- Salem Township - southeast
- German Township, Harrison County - south
- Loudon Township, Carroll County - southwest
- Lee Township, Carroll County - west
Several populated places are located in Springfield Township:
- The village of Amsterdam, in the west
- The village of Bergholz, in the north
- The unincorporated community of Wolf Run, in the east
Name and history
Springfield Township was establshed in 1804. It is the oldest township in Jefferson County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Doyle, Joseph Beatty (1910). 20th Century History of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 527.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.