Springfield Township, Summit County, Ohio
|Springfield Township, Summit County, Ohio|
|• Total||15.0 sq mi (39.0 km2)|
|• Land||14.7 sq mi (38.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,083 ft (330 m)|
|• Density||1,031.2/sq mi (398.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087017|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships and cities:
- Tallmadge - north
- Brimfield Township, Portage County - northeast corner
- Suffield Township, Portage County - east
- Lake Township - southeast
- Green - south
- Coventry Township - west
- Akron - northwest
Several municipalities are located in the original boundaries of Springfield Township:
- Part of the city of Akron, the county seat of Summit County, in the northwest
- Part of the village of Mogadore, in the northeast
- The village of Lakemore, in the center
It is about 14.7 square miles (38 km2) in size (Springfield Township, 2003-2004).
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Current trustees are Deborah Davis, Bruce Killian and Dean Young, and the fiscal officer is Joy Dies .
Springfield Local School District encompasses Springfield Township and the village of Lakemore. Portage Lakes Career Center is the vocational school for Springfield. (Summit County Fiscal Officer, 2005) The school district has faced serious financial difficulty; at the current time, the district's student transportation is at state minimum, and the district is actively cutting staff.
Springfield's original high school had been annexed by Akron in 1929, requiring construction of the older building of the current high school. The original building became part of Akron Public Schools, at first Ellet High School, and later Ritzman Elementary. That building was recently demolished, and a new school was built upon its site.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Summit County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Township Administration, Springfield Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-01-24.
- Ohio.com - Springfield schools face staff cuts
- Commercial Survey Company (2004). Official Street Atlas of Akron Summit and Portage Counties. Cleveland: Commercial survey Company. ISBN 1-879116-56-1.
- The Ohio State University Department of Human and Community Resource Development (2003). Summit County. Retrieved April 29, 2005.
- Springfield Township, Summit County, Ohio (2003-2004). Springfield Township about us. Retrieved April 29, 2005.
- Summit County Fiscal Officer, John Donofrio (2005). TAX YEAR 2004/COLLECTION YEAR 2005 FULL TAX RATE SUMMARY SHEET. Retrieved April 29, 2005.