Location in St. Clair County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||6.4 sq mi (16.6 km2)|
|• Land||6.4 sq mi (16.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||725 ft (221 m)|
|• Density||393.9/sq mi (151.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0164863|
Springville is located at (33.768950, −86.471037).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.4 square miles (17 km2), of which, 6.4 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.31%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,521 people, 990 households, and 767 families residing in the town. The population density was 393.8 people per square mile (152.1/km²). There were 1,049 housing units at an average density of 163.8 per square mile (63.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 90.56% White or Anglo-American, 7.74% Black or African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.16% Pacific Islander, and 1.11% from two or more races. 0.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 990 households out of which 34.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 26.2% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $43,397, and the median income for a family was $53,859. Males had a median income of $35,977 versus $25,542 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,518. About 8.0% of families and 10.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.1% of those under age 45–55 and 23.4% of those age 65 or over.
Although a small Alabama town, Springville has been the site of filming for two movies:
- 1987 – a gangster film called The Verne Miller Story (released on video entitled Gangland) starring Scott Glenn
- 2001 – Rustin (starring Meat Loaf and Zachary Ty Bryan)
- Howard Cruse, alternative cartoonist
- Hank Patterson, born on October 9, 1888, who played Mr. Fred Ziffel, on Green Acres.
- Aubrey Willis Williams, head of the National Youth Administration during the New Deal
- Artie Wilson, former Major League Baseball player
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.