|Studio album by Barbara Mandrell|
|Released||July 29, 1983|
|Recorded||February 1983 (Nashville, TN)|
|Barbara Mandrell chronology|
|Singles from Spun Gold|
Spun Gold is the fourteenth studio album by American country artist Barbara Mandrell. The album was released in July 1983 on MCA Records and was produced by Tom Collins. Spun Gold produced two major hit singles on the Billboard Country Singles chart in 1983.
Background and content
Spun Gold was recorded in February 1983 in Nashville, Tennessee and contained ten tracks of new recordings. The album mainly consisted of Country pop-influenced material mixed with song themes that discuss the hardships of working-class people. It included a duet with country artist Steve Wariner entitled "Overnight Sensation". Allmusic reviewer Greg Adams compared background guitar on the track "In Times Like These" to the guitar "riff" on Ike & Tina Turner's single, "Proud Mary". He also considered the single, "One of a Kind (A Pair of Fools)" to have a "strong hook and pure pop production". Overall, Adams only gave the release two out five stars, calling the material "disco-era glitz". Adams also found the album's cover to be displeasing saying, "Meanwhile, Mandrell is decked out on the album cover like a high-fashion model in gold lame'. Dolly Parton has always been able to negotiate these kinds of apparent contradictions, but Mandrell does not have the same gift."
Spun Gold spawned two singles in 1983. The lead single from the album was the opening track "In Times Like These". The song was released to radio in March 1983 and reached a peak of #4 on the Billboard Magazine Hot Country Songs chart and #6 on the RPM Canadian Country chart. The second single "One of a Kind (A Pair of Fools)" was released in July 1983 and became Mandrell's final number one single on the Billboard Country Singles Chart and also reached the same position on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart. Spun Gold was also released in 1983 and peaked at #5 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart and #140 on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
- Side one
- "In Times Like These" – 2:58
- "As Well As Can Be Expected" – 3:23
- "One of a Kind Pair of Fools" – 2:48
- "Only Now and Then" – 3:22
- "You Are No Angel" – 2:57
- Side two
- "A Man's Not a Man ('Til He's Loved by a Woman)" – 3:15
- "Overnight Sensation" – 3:16
- with Steve Wariner
- "Loveless" – 3:07
- "Bad Boys" – 2:54
- "Cryin' All the Way to the Bank" – 3:35
Sales chart positions
|U.S. Top Country Albums||5|
|U.S. Billboard 200||140|
|US Country||CAN Country|
|1983||"In Times Like These"||4||6|
|"One of a Kind Pair of Fools"||1||1|
- "Country Music Discographies - Barbara Mandrell". Country Music.Blogspot. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Spun Gold > Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Adams, Greg. "Spun Gold > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- "Spun Gold by Barbara Mandrell". Rate Your Music. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- "Billboard chart positions > singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 11 January 2010.
- "Spun Gold > Charts". Allmusic. Retrieved 11 January 2010.