From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up Spur in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A spur is a metal instrument fastened to the heel of a horse rider.
Spur may also refer to:
- Features of plants, animals, and humans, including:
- Heel spur, a thin spike of calcification in the human foot
- Spur (zoology), a sharp horny growth on front or hindleg of some birds and mammals; notable examples include wing spurs in some plovers, the feet of pheasants and the poisonous spur on the hind legs of male platypuses
- Spur (zoology) the vestigial leg seen on some snakes, such as those in the genus boa.
- Spur (botany), an elongated appendage of certain sepals
- Spur (vine), one-year old wood of a grapevine that is pruned back to leave just one or two buds to be used for next year's crop of grapes
- Geographical and cartographical features, including:
- Spur (topography), a mountain ridge projecting laterally from a main mountain or mountain range
- Spur line, a short railway (railroad) branching from a main line
- Spur route, a short road branching from longer, more important route
- Spur trail, a shorter trail which branches from a longer, parent route, often providing trail users access to nearby resources or desirable destinations
- Several organizations, including:
- SPUR (magazine), a student magazine in Adelaide, Australia
- SPUR, the acronym for the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association
- Gruppe SPUR, a German artistic collaboration, and their journal of the same name
- Spur Steak Ranches, a chain of steakhouses in South Africa
- Spur Award, an annual literary prize awarded by the Western Writers of America
- Spur gas stations in North America operated by Murphy Oil
- Spur, a small continuation of part of a printed letter, especially an uppercase G
- Spur (architecture), the ornament carved on the angles of the bases of early columns
- Spur, another name for a spurious tone in electronics
- Spur, alternative name for Trace (linear algebra)
- Spur gear, the simplest and probably most common type of gear
- Spur, Texas, a United States city
- Spur (horse), an American thoroughbred racehorse
- All pages beginning with "spur"
- All pages with titles containing "spur"
- Spurs (disambiguation)
- Spurr (disambiguation)
- Spurt (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.