Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"
|Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"|
Nimbus Games (iOS)
|Release date(s)||US: October 17, 1997 (Original) 2001 (PC Download)
September 10, 2002, October 2007 (Re-release)
August 29, 2008 (Wii)
May 4, 2012 (iOS/Google Play) US: 2001
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" is the first of three games in the Spy Fox series of games developed by Humongous Entertainment and marketed by Atari. In 2012 Nimbus Games Inc. released version designed for both iOS and Google Play, which received critical acclaim.
The game is centered around the fictional island of Acidophilus in Greece. The villain William the Kid, the CEO of the Nectar of the Goats (N.O.G.) Corporation tries to eliminate cow's milk from the earth by kidnapping cows and his rival, Mr. Udderly, the president and CEO of Amalgamated Moo Juice Incorporated. Kid plans to capture the cows, frame them and eventually take over the dairy world. SpyFox is assigned to find them and terminate Kid's scheme.
The Spy Fox adventures retain the easy-to-use format of the other Humongous computer games, but unlike all the others, the Spy Fox series introduces talk balloons. Talk balloons enable Spy Fox to ask a character a specific question instead of simply having an ordinary conversation. Like other Humongous titles, Spy Fox offers a game within the game. For a diversion, Spy Fox can play "Go Fish" with Mr. Bigpig at the Greek cantina, can draw pictures in William the Kid's office, or can play "Happy Fun Sub", a game in which Spy Fox tries to collect satellites, buoys, and submersibles while avoiding obstacles. Like other Humongous computer games, the Spy Fox games have more than one gamepath. This means that the adventure is different every time one plays. One should save one's game by pressing the "S" key, which stands for "Save". One can resume the game later by pressing the "L" key, which stands for "Load". Also, he can use the "Save" and "Load" buttons on his 'Spywatch'.
One can play three minigames. Two of these games, Go Fish and Paper on Easel, may be required to complete the game.
This is the familiar card game. Spy Fox plays against Mr. Bigpig in the cantina. One must have four cards that match to have one set. The player with more sets at the end of the game is the winner. The game ends when all the cards have been used or if either player runs out of cards in their hands, whichever comes first. To start the game, one must buy a jar of trinkets from the trinket stand at the town square and then bring it to the cantina. The winner would take his own and the loser's trinkets. The player would play this game in the White Water Path to retrieve Captain Drydock's lucky charm.
Paper on Easel
Found in William the Kid's office, this is basically a doodling game in which the one can draw as much as one wants. The drawings can be printed out onto paper. After one has drawn a picture, a smaller version of it will appear in William the Kid's office. The player doodles on the paper in the Punchcard sidequest to reveal a hidden message revealing which fake painting in the N.O.G. Corporate Headquarters hides the punchcard.
Happy Fun Sub
This game is accessible by pressing the "Fun" button on the Spy Watch. The player has to steer the Spycraft, a Spy Corps vehicle, over air, sea, and underwater terrains. The Spycraft can transform into an airplane, speedboat, or submarine depending on the terrain. The object of the game is to collect satellites, buoys, and submersibles to complete the level. At the beginning, one has five lives and tries to avoid obstacles by shooting suction cups or sandwiches or jumping over them. Sometimes, a warning will appear to alert one of an approaching island. Hitting an obstacle will cost one a life. One can gain more lives by scoring points. The first life that one earns will be worth 20,000 points and the subsequent lives will be worth 60,000 points each. As one progresses through the levels, the number of satellites, buoys, and submersibles needed to complete a level increases. "Happy Fun Sub" has an infinite number of levels.
Game paths and bonus ending
This game has two Game Paths which contain different puzzles that the player has to solve in order to continue the game. The game paths are randomly set when the player starts a new game. Three sidequests exist in which the item needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction changes, and there are two different game paths leading to the discovery of the hidden fortress. In addition, there are two miniquests in which the path to the cow pen varies. As such, there are 12 possible unique games. There is also a Bonus Ending wherein the player can capture William the Kid. The Bonus Ending is only accessible when the player clicks at the right time.
- Car Chase Path: In this game path, after sending Walter Wireless the Tracking Bug after her, the player must pursue Russian Blue in a specialised Spy vehicle (also used in Spy Fox 3: "Operation Ozone") across the Island of Acidophilus to some Greek Ruins which are the secret entrance to William the Kid's secret base. The name of Spy Fox's car is Asti Spumoni, a reference to the real-life car makes Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo, with the former being well known as the car make used in the James Bond films.
- White Water Path: In this game path, the player uses Captain Drydock's boat to sail to a spot in the ocean where milk is being pumped to form an area of white water. The player has to get to the spot and dive underwater to find William the Kid's secret base.
- Key sidequest: In this sidequest, the player must find a key wallet containing a key needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. The key wallet is placed in William the Kid's office, guarded by laser beams and contains 5 keys. The player has to redirect the lasers with mirrors to get the key wallet. The player can find out which key is needed by looking in Mr. Udderly's stomach.
- Punchcard sidequest: In this sidequest, the player must find a punchcard needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. The punchcard is hidden in a safe behind one of the fake paintings in the N.O.G.'s Corporate Headquarters. To find out which painting hides the card, the player has to doodle on the paper in William the Kid's office. Once that is found out, the player must enter a color code on the buttons next to that painting. When the safe is revealed, the player uses the Cheez-n-Safe Cracker gadget to find the combination. The safe opens to reveal 5 punchcards. The player can find out which punchcard is needed by looking in Mr. Udderly's stomach.
- Diode sidequest: In this sidequest, the player must find a diode needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. The diode is one of 10 diodes located in the Radio Room. The player has to turn the power off, distracting a guard; once the power is off, the player uses the Night Vision Shoe gadget to see in the dark and take the diode. The player can find out which diode is needed by looking in Mr. Udderly's stomach.
- Cock a Doodle Fu miniquest: In this miniquest, the player must defeat Hong Kong Doodle, a master of Cock a Doodle Fu. To do that, the player must obtain a book on Cock a Doodle Fu from Bea Bear at the cantina. When the player hears Hong Kong Doodle's attack, he/she has to find the corresponding counterattack to defeat him.
- Alligator miniquest: In this miniquest, the player must pass a tank of hungry alligators. To do that, the player must buy some Chicken Knuckles from Bea Bear at the cantina and season them with Secret Sauce. The player then must feed the Chicken Knuckles to the alligators. The alligators would then fall asleep with their bellies face up, leaving a bridge for Spy Fox to cross.
- Bonus Ending: This is a bonus ending which happens only if the player clicks on the truck in William the Kid's secret base after rescuing the cows. Spy Fox will jump in and drive toward the cliff. If the player clicks on the blimp just before Spy Fox reaches the cliff, he will jump the truck into the air and eject himself directly into the escaping blimp. The player has to then work inside the blimp to send William the Kid to Spy Jail via the Ejector Panel.