Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"
|Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"|
Nimbus Games (iOS)
|Release date(s)||US: October 17, 1997 (Original) 2001 (PC Download)
September 10, 2002, November 2005, October 2007 (Re-release)
August 29, 2008 (Wii)
May 4, 2012 (iOS/Google Play) UK: 2001
Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal" is the first of three games in the Spy Fox series developed by Humongous Entertainment and marketed by Atari. In 2012, Nimbus Games Inc. released a version designed for both iOS and Google Play, which received critical acclaim.
The game takes place on the fictional island of Acidophilus in Greece. William the Kid, the antagonist of the game and the CEO of the Nectar of the Goats (N.O.G.) Corporation, plots to rid the world of cow's milk so that he can take control of the dairy world with his "delicious" goat by-products. By kidnapping all of the dairy cows in the world, including his rival, Mr. Howard Hugh Heifer Udderly III, the president and CEO of Amalgamated Moo Juice Incorporated, Kid plans to gather all of the dairy milk in the world in a giant milk carton called the Milky Weapon of Destruction, flood the capital with all that milk, frame the dairy cows for that crime, get them all thrown in cow jail, and eventually take over the dairy world. SpyFox is assigned to find Kid's secret fortress, where this Milky Weapon of Destruction is being held, and disarm the weapon using either a punch card, key, or a diode, terminating Kid's scheme.
The Spy Fox adventures retain the easy-to-use format of the other Humongous computer games, but unlike the others, the Spy Fox series introduces talk balloons. Talk balloons enable Spy Fox to ask any character a specific question instead of simply having an ordinary conversation. Like other Humongous titles, Spy Fox offers games within the game. For example, Spy Fox can play "Go Fish" with Mr. Bigpig at the Greek Cantina, draw pictures in William the Kid's office, or play "Happy Fun Sub", a game in which Spy Fox tries to collect satellites, buoys, and submersibles while avoiding challenging obstacles. Go Fish and drawing on Kid's easel may be required to complete the game. Like other Humongous computer games, the Spy Fox games have more than one gamepath. This means that the adventure is different every time. One can save the game by pressing the "S" key, which stands for "Save", or by clicking the "Save" button on the Spy Watch. One can resume the game later by pressing the "L" key, which stands for "Load", or by clicking on the "Load" button on the Spy Watch.
This is the familiar card game. Spy Fox plays against Mr. Bigpig in the Cantina. The player must have four matching cards to make one set. The player with most sets at the end of the game is the winner. The game ends when somebody runs out of cards in their hands. To play, the player must buy a jar of trinkets from the trinket stand in the town square and then bring it to the cantina. The winner takes his own and the loser's trinkets. In the White Water Path, the player needs to beat Mr. Bigpig to retrieve Captain Drydock's lucky charm.
Paper on Easel
Found in William the Kid's office, this is a doodling game in which one can draw anything he or she wants. The drawings can also be printed out onto paper. The player has to doodle on the paper in the Punch card sidequest to reveal a hidden message. The message gives the name of the painting that the punch card is hiding in and the color lock combination needed to reveal the wall safe behind that painting. All five paintings are located in the N.O.G. Corporate Headquarters, that mysterious office that is locked at the beginning of the game.
Happy Fun Sub
This game is accessed by pressing the "Fun" button on the Spy Watch. The player has to steer the Spycraft over air, sea, and underwater terrains. The Spycraft can transform into an airplane, speedboat, or submarine. The object of the game is to collect satellites, buoys, and submersibles to complete the level. At the beginning, one has five lives and tries to avoid obstacles by shooting plungers (plane) or sandwiches (sub, pun intended?) or jumping over them (boat). Sometimes, a red warning signal will appear to alert one of an approaching island. Hitting an obstacle will cost one a life. One can gain more lives by scoring points. The first life that one earns will be worth 20,000 points and the subsequent lives will be worth 60,000 points each. As one progresses through the levels, the number of satellites, buoys, and submersibles needed to complete a level increases. One effective strategy for this game is to collect the buoys first while the player still has the chance to do so. Once an island appears, it is impossible to collect buoys until the island has passed. "Happy Fun Sub" has an infinite number of levels.
Game paths and bonus ending
This game has two different Game Paths which contain different puzzles that the player has to solve in order to progress through the game. The game paths are randomly set when a new game is started. There are three different side-quests in the game, depending on which of the three items is required to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. There are two different game paths leading to the discovery of the hidden fortress. In addition, there are two miniquests in which the path to the cow pen varies. As such, there are 12 possible unique games. There is also a Bonus Ending wherein the player can capture William the Kid. The Bonus Ending is only accessible when the player clicks on the truck in the background of the room where Kid is holding the cows as Kid is trying to fly away on his get-away blimp. Spy Fox speeds after the blimp in an attempt to catch up to it. As he is accelerating down a dirt road on the edge of a cliff, he spots a dead end coming up. Before he reaches that dead end, the player must either click on the blimp itself or the ramp at the end of the dead end at the right time. Spy Fox will be ejected onto the blimp, and all there is left to do is bring that despicable goat to justice!
- Car Chase Path: In this game path, the player must track Russian Blue to Kid's fortress by secretly slipping Walter Wireless the Tracking Bug into her purse. The player follows Walter's trail in a specialized Spy vehicle (also used in Spy Fox 3: "Operation Ozone") across the island to some Greek Ruins, the secret entrance to William the Kid's secret base. The name of Spy Fox's car is Asti Spumoni, a reference to the wine Asti Spumante and real-life car makes Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo, with the former being well known as the car make used in the James Bond films.
- White Water Path: In this game path, the player uses Captain Drydock's boat to sail to a spot in the sea where milk is being pumped, forming an area of "white water". The player has to find the spot, dive underwater using the frog suit, get past a couple guards, blow open the steel door with a missile, and then has to enter the correct code phrase to find William the Kid's secret fortress.
- Key sidequest: In this sidequest, the player must find a key wallet containing one of the keys needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. The key wallet is located in William the Kid's office, guarded by dangerous laser beams. The player has to redirect the lasers with mirrors to get the key wallet. The player can find out which key is needed by using the X-ray gum to look in Mr. Udderly's stomach.
- Punchcard sidequest: In this sidequest, the player must find a punch card needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. The punchcard is hidden in a safe behind one of the paintings in the N.O.G.'s Corporate Headquarters. To find out which painting hides the card, the player has to doodle on the paper in William the Kid's office. The player must then enter a color code on the buttons next to that painting, which will reveal a wall safe behind that painting. When the safe is revealed, the player must use the Cheez-n-Safe Cracker spy gadget to reveal the lock combination. The safe then opens to reveal 5 punchcards. The player can find out which punchcard is needed by using the X-ray gum to look in Mr. Udderly's stomach.
- Diode sidequest: In this sidequest, the player must find a diode needed to disarm the Milky Weapon of Destruction. There are a total of 10 diodes in the Radio Room of Kid's secret fortress, which are guarded by a bunny (possible reference to another well-known bunny that relates to the topic of electricity? Hmmm...). The player has to turn the power off, which will distract the bunny. He will leave the Radio Room to go and turn the power back on. The player now has a limited amount of time to snatch the correct diode. Spy Fox has to wear the Night Vision Shoe spy gadget to see in the dark and take the diode. Everything will appear green, so the player cannot rely on their knowledge of what color the diode is. The player has to know the correct pattern of the diode as well. The player can find out which diode is needed by using the X-ray gum to look in Mr. Udderly's stomach.
- Cock a Doodle Fu miniquest: In this miniquest, the player must defeat Hong Kong Doodle, a black belt master of Cock a Doodle Fu. To do that, the player must obtain a book on Cock a Doodle Fu from Bea Bear at the Cantina by using Doodle's talk balloon on Bea. When the player sees Hong Kong Doodle's attack, he or she has to use the corresponding counterattack in order to defeat him.
- Alligator miniquest: In this miniquest, the player must pass a tank inhabited by four hungry alligators. To do that, the player must buy some Chicken Knuckles from Bea Bear at the Cantina and then season them with Secret Sauce (the blue bottle on the counter at the Cantina). The player must then feed the Chicken Knuckles to the alligators. The alligators will immediately fall asleep with their bellies face up, leaving a bridge for Spy Fox to cross.
- Bonus Ending: There is a bonus ending which only happens if the player clicks on the truck in the room where Kid is holding the cows after Kid tries to get away on his blimp. Spy Fox will jump in and drive after the blimp. Spy Fox must eject himself directly onto the escaping blimp. In order to get ejected onto the blimp, the player must either click on the blimp or the jump at the end of the road at the right time. Then, the player has to work inside the blimp to send William the Kid to Evil Villain Jail.