||This article consists almost entirely of a plot summary. It should be expanded to provide more balanced coverage that includes real-world context. (September 2013)|
|Directed by||Mark Blutman|
|Produced by||Robert Abramoff|
|Written by||Mark Blutman
|Music by||Robert Bayless|
|Editing by||Richard Halsey|
|Distributed by||Screen Media|
|Release dates||March 1, 2008|
|Running time||83 minutes|
Spy School is a 2008 American comedy-drama film, released outside the United States as Doubting Thomas or Lies and Spies. The films stars Forrest Landis and AnnaSophia Robb as the lead characters. The movie focuses on the adventures of Thomas Miller, in his efforts to save the President's daughter from being kidnapped. This is the last film for Taylor Momsen, though she now fronts the rock band The Pretty Reckless.
Spy School is a movie about a boy named Thomas Miller, who has cultivated an infamous reputation at his school for telling tall tales or what some would call outrageous lies as a way of dealing with the divorce of his parents. No one believes anything he says anymore, not even his best friend Jackie Hoffman (AnnaSophia Robb). He lives a normal life lying through school, getting in trouble with the principal frequently as a result, attempting to attract the attention of various girls, while ignoring the affection Jackie displays for him. When she overtly displays her romantic feelings for him by kissing him, he reacts indifferently, and she walks away, hurt. However, things take a turn for the worst when one day he overhears a dastardly plot to kidnap the President's daughter, upon her arrival at the school. Now, having spurned Jackie, and no one else believing in him, Thomas sets off to save the First Daughter. Thomas noticed a particular ringtone on the kidnapper's phone, and thus hears it several times as the newly arrived substitutes ringtone, a friendly janitor, and the principal of the school. He begins to see conspiracies everywhere, and with no one to turn to after spurning Jackie, sets off on his own. He hides in the back of the substitutes van to escape being grounded, then proceeds to infiltrate the school on the night of the dance, believing the principal to be the evil mastermind. Before he does, he goes to Jackie to make one last plea, and apologizes for hurting her. Seeing the truth in his words, she agrees to help him. However, they find several twists in who's friend or foe. They run through the school, searching for the mastermind before finally finding the true villain to be a rejected Secret Service Agent named Grissom, who had psychological problems. He captures them, and attempts to seal them away, but they escape. Thomas and Jackie head to the dance floor, enlisting the help of the now befriended substitute, who turned out to be a Secret Service Agent, and find Grissom just as he snags the President's daughter. Grissom drags her to the roof, and only Thomas is able to catch up to him. Grissom manages to capture Thomas too, and drags him onto the helicopter. Thomas's dad, upon realizing where Thomas is, drives his garbage truck right under the helicopter, and convince both of the children to jump, and they land safely in the back of the truck. Grissom is captured by the Secret Service. Thomas is called over by Jackie to a bench and they reminisce over their adventure, and decide to go get ice cream. As they are about to leave they are interrupted by Madison, who asks Thomas, (now her hero), to walk her home. Thomas begins to realize that his feelings are misplaced, but Jackie's selfless urging suades him into going with Madison. Jackie goes to the park where she often goes to be alone, when Thomas surprises her, sitting beside her and revealing he left Madison at her house and declined her invite to a dance the following day. He asks Jackie instead, and she asks, "I don't get it? What about "The Girl"?" Thomas smiles and replies "She's right here." The two hold hands as they leave the park, passing a tree into which she had carved a heart with their initials inside, revealing that she's loved him for quite some time.
A mid-credits sequence shows all the kids and teachers dancing to Huckapoo doing a cover of "Macho Man", to honor Thomas as their hero, and it's clear that Jackie is wearing a far nicer dress for him.
- Forrest Landis as Thomas Claro Miller, the protagonist of the series, a frequent liar but who tries to do the right thing in the end by saving the president's daughter.
- AnnaSophia Robb as Jackie Hoffman, best friend to Thomas Miller, who shows a romantic interest in him.
- Rider Strong as Mr. Randall, the Secret Service Agent posing as a substitute teacher.
- Lea Thompson as Claire Miller, Thomas's mom, who plays a minor role in the film.
- D.L. Hughley as Albert, another Secret Service agent posing as a janitor.
- Roger Bart as Principal Hampton, a strict and hapless principal.
- Brian Posehn as Grissom, a Secret Service who went rogue and tried to kidnap the president's daughter.
- Ezra Buzzington as Cedric Bailey, the school bully.
- Taylor Momsen as Madison Kramer, Thomas's original crush.
- 1. Thomas's Excuse by Bob Bayless
- 2. Fallen for you by Jeff Coplan
- 3. Macho Man by the Village People
- 4. The Start of Something sung by XDTX with Roni Martin
- 5. I could get over that sung by XDTX with Wendy Walde
- 6. Get It by Tamera Pacile
- 7. Someone sent me an angel by Huckapoo
- 8. Macho Man (redone by Huckapoo)