|Headquarters||New York, NY (SoHo)|
|Industry||Web content management system, Website builder, Web hosting service|
|Employees||349 (as of July 2014)|
|Alexa rank||696 (As of 2 May 2014[update])|
Squarespace is a SaaS-based content management system (CMS) which is composed of a website builder, blogging platform and hosting service. The service allows individuals and businesses to create and maintain websites and blogs.
Since launching in 2004, Squarespace has grown to 349 employees and millions have created websites on the Squarespace platform.
It can only export content data to a post-processed XML file. It cannot export raw data.
Squarespace was founded in 2003 and launched in January, 2004 by Anthony Casalena using a $30,000 investment from Casalena's father. Casalena created the initial software behind the company after trying and disliking other personal web page platforms. Squarespace was founded to create an all-in-one web publishing solution.
|Old version, no longer supported: 4||May 2007||Introduced full site searching, FAQs, integrated form building, forums, and a Google Maps component.|
- In 2011, Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena was named one of Crains New York's Top Entrepreneurs of 2011.
- In December 2012, the company was ranked #2 Best Place to Work in New York City by Crain's New York.
- In January 2013, the company placed #45 in Forbes' annual list of America's Most Promising Companies.
- In January 2013, Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena was named one of America's Most Promising CEOs Under 35 by Forbes.
- In April 2014, Squarespace won 4 Webby Awards.
- In June 2014, Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena was listed as one of Inc. Magazine's 35 under 35.
Squarespace has three pricing plans:
- Personal Plan ($8 per month)
- Professional Plan ($16 per month)
- Business Plan ($24 per month).
A 20% discount is offered if a user subscribed to their annual plans. The higher plans provides users with more website building features. Squarespace offers all users a 14-day trial.
Squarespace's primary competitors in the website publishing industry include WordPress, Weebly, Wix.com, GoDaddy, amongst others. The exact number of Squarespace users is not disclosed, although Casalena estimates that Squarespace signs up about 1,000 new customers a day.
Squarespace is funded by Accel Partners and Index Ventures. The company raised $38.5 million in its Series A round of funding in July, 2010. As part of the financing deal, Squarespace formed a board of directors, to add its three charter members: Jonathan Klein, Andrew Braccia, and Dominique Vidal. Casalena remains Squarespace's largest shareholder.
Squarespace raised another $40 million in Series B funding from General Atlantic in April 2014. This is a minority investment. Anton Levy, Managing Director of General Atlantic, will join the Squarespace board of directors.
- "About Squarespace". Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Squarespace.com Site Info". Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- "About Squarespace". Squarespace. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Squarespace Raises $38.5 Million From Accel, Index Ventures". Techcrunch. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Top Entrepreneurs 2011". Crain's New York Business. 2011-05-28. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "50 Best Websites 2012". Time (magazine). 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Best Places to Work 2012". Crain's New York Business. 2012-12-02. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "America's Most Promising Companies". Forbes. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "America's Most Promising CEOs Under 35". Forbes. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Squarespace Wins Four Webby Awards". Squarespace Blog.
- "For Squarespace, Slow and Steady Wins the Race". Inc. Magazine. 2014-06-25. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "Squarespace Pricing Plan". Squarespace. Retrieved 28 Aug 2014.
- Wong, Jeremy. "Website Builder Comparison Chart". Website Builder Expert. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Pofeldt, Elaine. "How a dorm blog snared $79 million in VC funding". CNBC. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Index, Accel bet big on Squarespace". Reuters. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- "Squarespace Takes $40 Million in Growth Equity". BeatBeat.
- "Squarespace Raises $40M in Series B Funding from Global Growth Investor General Atlantic". General Atlantic.