||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2013)|
|Headquarters||New York, NY|
|Industry||Web content management system, Website builder, Web hosting service|
|Employees||160 (as of August 2013)|
|Alexa rank||2173 (As of 6 February 2013[update])|
Squarespace is a SaaS-based content management system (CMS) which is composed of a website builder, blogging platform and hosting service. The service allows individuals and businesses to create and maintain websites and blogs.
Squarespace was founded in 2003 and launched in January, 2004 by Anthony Casalena using a $30,000 investment from Casalena's father. Casalena created the initial software behind the company after trying and disliking other personal web page platforms. Squarespace was founded to create an all-in-one web publishing solution.
|Old version, no longer supported: 4||May 2007||Introduced full site searching, FAQs, integrated form building, forums, and a Google Maps component.|
- In 2011, Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena was named one of Crains New York's Top Entrepreneurs of 2011.
- In December 2012, the company was ranked #2 Best Place to Work in New York City by Crain's New York.
- In January 2013, the company placed #45 in Forbes' annual list of America's Most Promising Companies.
- In January 2013, Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena was named one of America's Most Promising CEOs Under 35 by Forbes.
Squarespace is funded by Accel Partners and Index Ventures. The company raised $38.5 million in its Series A round of funding in July, 2010. As part of the financing deal, Squarespace formed a board of directors, to add its three charter members: Jonathan Klein, Andrew Braccia, and Dominique Vidal. Casalena remains Squarespace's largest shareholder.
- "About Squarespace". Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Squarespace.com Site Info". Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Squarespace Raises $38.5 Million From Accel, Index Ventures". Techcrunch. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Top Entrepreneurs 2011". Crain's New York Business. 2011-05-28. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "50 Best Websites 2012". Time (magazine). 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Best Places to Work 2012". Crain's New York Business. 2012-12-02. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "America's Most Promising Companies". Forbes. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "America's Most Promising CEOs Under 35". Forbes. 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Index, Accel bet big on Squarespace". Reuters. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2010-09-24.