Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2012)|
|Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology|
|Chancellor||Prof S. Karunaratne|
|President||Prof Lalith Gamage|
|Location||Malabe, Sri Lanka|
|Campus||Main campus 25 acres (Suburban) – Malabe ,
Metropolitan campus (Urban) – Colombo
|Colors||Blue, white, orange
|Athletics||Seven sports teams|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission of Sri Lanka,
Association of Commonwealth Universities
Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT) is a public technology university in Sri Lanka mainly focused on Information Technology. It was established by the government of Sri Lanka. The main campus is in Malabe, 16 km from Colombo. It also has a metropolitan campus in Colombo, the island's largest city. SLIIT offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Computing, Business and Engineering. SLIIT is a leading, internationally accredited university in the fields of Information Technology, Electronics and Management as well as a research university.
- 1 History
- 2 SLIIT objectives
- 3 Affiliations
- 4 Research
- 5 Faculties
- 6 Campuses
- 7 Degree courses
- 8 Other courses
- 9 Student life
- 10 Partner universities
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology was established in 1999 by an Act of Parliament in Sri Lanka, with ability to award degrees following amendments to the Universities Act the same year, thus gaining recognition from the University Grants Commission. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU). SLIIT was established primarily to educate and train information technology professionals. It became the first government-owned fee levying IT university in Sri Lanka
SLIIT is a governmental institution with initial funding from the government. It is a statutory board and a company by guarantee. SLIIT comes under the Ministry of Higher Education. Unlike other state universities it does not depend on government funding and therefore has a great deal of autonomy. In 2007 SLIIT began expanding into fields of study outside those of IT and computing. These include electronic engineering and business management in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam University.
Since its conception, under the presidency and chancellorship of Professor Sam Karunaratne, it has become the leading degree-granting institute in Sri Lanka for information technology, producing 600 graduates annually. SLIIT has expanded its IT education from Colombo and its suburbs to other parts of the country, including Kandy and Matara, making SLIIT accessible in six locations.
SLIIT operates two campuses and four centres: the Malabe Campus at Malabe and the Metropolitan Campus at Kollupitiya, Colombo, the Kandy Centre at Kandy, the Jaffna Centre at Jaffna, the Kurunegala Centre at Kurunegala and the Matara Centre at Matara. This has been followed by planned expansion into Bangladesh and enrolment of students from Africa and South Asia. Since its inception SLIIT has produced over 50% of the professionals in Sri Lanka's IT and BPO industry, the fifth largest export earner in the country.
- Education and training of professionals at a high level of excellence in the fields of IT, Business and Engineering.
- Provision of consultancy services and software services to the public and private sector enterprises of Sri Lanka.
- Assisting and promoting enterprises, innovators and start-up companies with the necessary expertise to achieve business objectives.
- Conduct and promotion of research and development leading to specialized applications, services and innovative technology products.
- Expanding horizons in the fields of IT, Business and Engineering to reach International level.
SLIIT has built partnerships with Australian universities including Curtin University, Deakin University, Monash University, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, University of New Castle, University of South Australia, University of Tasmania, QUT, Swinburne University and William Angliss Institute. These partnerships allows students to study for their degrees at SLIIT.
The partnership with Sheffield Hallam University in United Kingdom enables SLIIT to offer undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and degree transfer programs. The University of British Columbia allows students to study for postgraduate degree from SLIIT. Similar partnerships with other universities allow students to complete several semesters of study at SLIIT and to finish the degree work at the other universities.
SLIIT conducts IT and computer-related research and is a partner of ConceptNursery.com, Sri Lanka's Technology Incubator. The SLIIT Research Symposium, which is held annually, showcases and helps advance research in the IT field in Sri Lanka.
- Faculty of Computing – Dean – Dr. Malitha Wijesundara
- Department of Information Technology – Head Nuwan Kodagoda
- Department of Graphics & Multimedia – Coodinator Dr. Tharangie Kumburuhena
- Faculty of Business
- Faculty of Engineering
- Malabe campus, Malabe (Main campus)
- Metropolitan campus, Colombo
- Kandy Centre, Kandy
- Matara Centre, Matara
- Jaffna Centre, Jaffna
- Kurunegala Centre, Kurunegala
Undergraduate degree programmes
- BSc in IT (Hons) (specialising in information technology) – Department of Information Technology
- BSc in IT (Hons) (specialising in Computer Systems and Networking) – Department of Computer Systems and Networking
- B.B.A. (Hons) (specialising in Business Management – Department of Business and Information Management
- BSc in Information Technology – Department of Information Technology
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Civil Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Materials Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics)
- BSc in Information Technology
- BSc in Software Engineering
- BEng in Computer Systems Engineering
- BEng in Civil & Construction Engineering
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering
- BEng in Electrical Power Engineering
Sheffield Hallam University Degrees
Postgraduate degree programs
SLIIT Masters degrees
- MSc in Information Technology – Department of Information Technology
- MSc in Information Systems – Department of Information Technology
- MSc in Information Management – Department of Information Management
Sheffield Hallam University Masters Degree
- MSc in Enterprise Application Development
- MSc Telecommunication & Electronic Engineering
University of British Columbia Masters Degree
- M.S.S. (Master of Software Systems)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology, Information Systems, Information Management
- Advanced Diploma in Information Technology
- National Diploma in Information Technology
- National Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Associate Diploma in Information Technology
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing (General)
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing (Network Engineering)
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing (Software Development)
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business Management
SLIIT conducts the Cisco Network Academy courses (CCNA, CCNP and CCSP) under the only regional Cisco Network Academy in Sri Lanka. SLIIT is the only Microsoft Academy in Sri Lanka offering Certification Courses.
The Student's Interactive Society (SIS) is the main student body at SLIIT. The society organises student activities which includes the annual Freshers Night Dance, the Sports day and the Colours Night. Apart from the SIS there are the HEDRA which is the SLIIT programming community, the FOSS Community, the IT Students' Community (ITSC) which is the students' community of the Department of Information Technology, the CSNSC which is the student community of the CSN Department and the Drama & Arts Society and BIMS which is the student community of Business and Information management department student who follows Information Systems Degree and Business Management Degree.
The Institute holds formal links with institutions from around the world to share teaching and research and facilitate staff and student exchanges.
- Curtin University of Technology, Australia
- Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- Uppsala University, Sweden
- RMIT University, Australia
- Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- University of South Australia, Australia
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Canada
- SLIIT Research Symposium
- Thilan Wijesinghe: Walking Tall
- Statutory Boards, index.comlanka.com
- Institutes that recognized as degree awarding institutes by the Ministry of Higher Education
- SLIIT offers UK recognised BBA Degrees, ITpro.lk
- SLIIT produces 675 IT Graduates this year, Sundayobserver
- SLIIT expands network to Jaffna and Bangladesh
- SLIIT enrols students from Asia and Africa for new intake
- Media release, Curtin University of Technology
- SLIIT-SHU partnership, Sheffield Hallam University
- SLIIT Affiliations
- SLIIT Research Symposium, SLIIT
- Keynote Address to the hSenid 10th Anniversary Celebration, 22 March 2007, U.S. Embassy, Colombo
- Industrial Automation Laboratory