Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2012)|
|Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology|
|Chancellor||Prof L.L. Rathnayake|
|President||Prof Lalith Gamage|
|Location||Malabe, Sri Lanka|
|Campus||Main campus (Suburban) – Malabe ,
Metropolitan campus (Urban) – Colombo
|Colors||Blue, white, orange
‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission of Sri Lanka,
Association of Commonwealth Universities
Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (also known simply as SLIIT) is a technology university in Sri Lanka. It was founded in 1999. SLIIT is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities and International Association of Universities. SLIIT enrolls approximately 7000 undergraduate and graduate students.
It was established by the government of Sri Lanka. The university has 2 campuses and 4 centres. The main campus is in Malabe, 16 km from Colombo. It also has a metropolitan campus in Colombo, the island's largest city. SLIIT offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Computing, Business and Engineering.
The Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology was established in 1999 by an Act of Parliament in Sri Lanka, with ability to award degrees following amendments to the Universities Act the same year, thus gaining recognition from the University Grants Commission. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU). SLIIT was established primarily to educate and train information technology professionals. It became the first government-owned fee levying IT university in Sri Lanka
SLIIT is a governmental institution with initial funding from the government. It is a statutory board and a company by guarantee. SLIIT comes under the Ministry of Higher Education. Unlike other state universities it does not depend on government funding and therefore has a great deal of autonomy. In 2007 SLIIT began expanding into fields of study outside those of IT and computing. These include electronic engineering and business management in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam University.
Since its conception, under the presidency and chancellorship of Professor Sam Karunaratne, it has become the leading degree-granting institute in Sri Lanka for information technology, producing 600 graduates annually. SLIIT has expanded its IT education from Colombo and its suburbs to other parts of the country, including Kandy and Matara, making SLIIT accessible in six locations.
SLIIT operates two campuses and four centres: the Malabe Campus at Malabe and the Metropolitan Campus at Kollupitiya, Colombo, the Kandy Centre at Kandy, the Jaffna Centre at Jaffna, the Kurunegala Centre at Kurunegala and the Matara Centre at Matara. This has been followed by planned expansion into Bangladesh and enrolment of students from Africa and South Asia. Since its inception SLIIT has produced over 50% of the professionals in Sri Lanka's IT and BPO industry, the fifth largest export earner in the country.
- Malabe Campus
The Malabe campus covers an area over 25 acres and is the largest of the SLIIT campuses. This is the flagship campus for SLIIT. Malabe is home to the faculties of Computing, Business & Engineering.
- Metropolitan Campus
- City Campus
The city campus is a new expansion situated in Kollupitiya.
- Kandy Centre
The Kandy centre of the SLIIT was established in 2002. Students are required to transfer to the campuses at Colombo to continue their studies after completing the diploma levels of the degrees.
- Mathara Centre
This is situated in Matara, Sri Lanka. This was established in 2004. This has facilities to first and second year students.
- Jaffna Centre
- Kurunegala Centre
The centre at Kurunegala was started in 2013.
- Faculty of Computing – Dean – Dr. Malitha Wijesundara
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Software Engineering
- Department of Information Systems Engineering
- Department of Graphics and Multimedia
- English Language Teaching Unit
- Faculty of Business
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Information Management
- Faculty of Engineering – Dean – Prof. Ashok Peiris
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Colombo Academy of Hospitality Management - joint venture with William Angliss Institute
SLIIT has built partnerships with Australian universities including Curtin University, Deakin University, Monash University, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, University of New Castle, University of South Australia, University of Tasmania, QUT, Swinburne University and William Angliss Institute. These partnerships allows students to study for their degrees at SLIIT.
The partnership with Sheffield Hallam University in United Kingdom enables SLIIT to offer undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and degree transfer programs. The University of British Columbia allows students to study for postgraduate degree from SLIIT. Similar partnerships with other universities allow students to complete several semesters of study at SLIIT and to finish the degree work at the other universities.
SLIIT conducts IT and computer-related research and is a partner of ConceptNursery.com, Sri Lanka's Technology Incubator. The SLIIT Research Symposium, which is held annually, showcases and helps advance research in the IT field in Sri Lanka.
SLIIT conducts the Cisco Network Academy courses (CCNA, CCNP and CCSP) under the only regional Cisco Network Academy in Sri Lanka. SLIIT is the only Microsoft Academy in Sri Lanka offering Certification Courses.
The Student's Interactive Society (SIS) is the main student body at SLIIT. The society organises student activities which includes the annual Freshers Night Dance, the Sports day and the Colours Night. Apart from the SIS there are the HEDRA which is the SLIIT programming community, the FOSS Community, the IT Students' Community (ITSC) which is the students' community of the Department of Information Technology, the CSNSC which is the student community of the CSN Department and the Drama & Arts Society and BIMS which is the student community of Business and Information management department student who follows Information Systems Degree and Business Management Degree.
- Student Interactive Society
- Sports Council
- FOSS Community
- Rotaract Club
- HEDRA SLIIT Programming Community
- IT Students Community
- CSN Students Community
- Students Community for faculty of business
- SLIIT Alumni Association
SLIIT promote sports and recreational activities. Malabe campus has a range of sporting facilities used by students including Cricket, Rugby, Basketball, Netball, Volleyball, Tennis, Table tennis, Badminton, Chess and Carrom. SLIIT sporting teams compete in a range of local and national competitions.
- Professor Sam Karunarathne (1999-2014)
- Professor L.Rathnayake (2014 Onwards)
The Institute holds formal links with institutions from around the world to share teaching and research and facilitate staff and student exchanges.
- Curtin University of Technology, Australia[dead link][verification needed]
- Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom[dead link][verification needed]
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- Uppsala University, Sweden[dead link][verification needed]
- RMIT University, Australia[dead link][verification needed]
- Swinburne University of Technology, Australia[dead link][verification needed]
- University of South Australia, Australia[dead link][verification needed]
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Canada[dead link][verification needed]
- Education in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan universities
- Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, SLIIT
- 2014/2015 Student Guide (PDF). Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- SLIIT Research Symposium
- Thilan Wijesinghe: Walking Tall
- Statutory Boards, index.comlanka.com
- Institutes that recognized as degree awarding institutes by the Ministry of Higher Education
- SLIIT offers UK recognised BBA Degrees, ITpro.lk
- SLIIT produces 675 IT Graduates this year, Sundayobserver
- SLIIT expands network to Jaffna and Bangladesh
- SLIIT enrols students from Asia and Africa for new intake
- Media release, Curtin University of Technology[dead link]
- SLIIT-SHU partnership, Sheffield Hallam University http://www.shu.ac.uk/sliit/ SLIIT-SHU partnership, Sheffield Hallam University
- SLIIT Affiliations[dead link]
- SLIIT Research Symposium, SLIIT
- Keynote Address to the hSenid 10th Anniversary Celebration, 22 March 2007, U.S. Embassy, Colombo
- "SLIIT ranked No. 1 in higher education". Daily FT. December 21, 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Sri Lanka". Webometrics Ranking of World Universities. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Industrial Automation Laboratory