Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2012)|
|Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology|
|Chancellor||Prof L.L. Rathnayake|
|President||Prof Lalith Gamage|
|Location||Malabe, Sri Lanka|
|Campus||Main campus 25 acres (Suburban) – Malabe ,
Metropolitan campus (Urban) – Colombo
|Colors||Blue, white, orange
|Athletics||Seven sports teams|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission of Sri Lanka,
Association of Commonwealth Universities
Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (also known simply as SLIIT) is a public technology university in Sri Lanka. It was founded in 1999. SLIIT is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities and International Association of Universities.
SLIIT enrolls approximately 7000 undergraduate and graduate students.
It was established by the government of Sri Lanka. The university has 2 campuses and 4 centres. The main campus is in Malabe, 16 km from Colombo. It also has a metropolitan campus in Colombo, the island's largest city. SLIIT offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Computing, Business and Engineering.
- 1 History
- 2 Campuses
- 3 Academia
- 3.1 Affiliations
- 3.2 Faculties
- 3.3 Undergraduate degree courses
- 3.4 Faculty of Computing
- 3.5 Faculty of Business
- 3.6 Faculty of Engineering
- 3.7 Postgraduate degree programs
- 3.8 Other courses
- 3.9 Diploma programmes
- 3.10 Professional courses
- 4 Library
- 5 Rankings
- 6 SLIIT objectives
- 7 Research
- 8 Student life
- 9 Partner universities
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology was established in 1999 by an Act of Parliament in Sri Lanka, with ability to award degrees following amendments to the Universities Act the same year, thus gaining recognition from the University Grants Commission. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU). SLIIT was established primarily to educate and train information technology professionals. It became the first government-owned fee levying IT university in Sri Lanka
SLIIT is a governmental institution with initial funding from the government. It is a statutory board and a company by guarantee. SLIIT comes under the Ministry of Higher Education. Unlike other state universities it does not depend on government funding and therefore has a great deal of autonomy. In 2007 SLIIT began expanding into fields of study outside those of IT and computing. These include electronic engineering and business management in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam University.
Since its conception, under the presidency and chancellorship of Professor Sam Karunaratne, it has become the leading degree-granting institute in Sri Lanka for information technology, producing 600 graduates annually. SLIIT has expanded its IT education from Colombo and its suburbs to other parts of the country, including Kandy and Matara, making SLIIT accessible in six locations.
SLIIT operates two campuses and four centres: the Malabe Campus at Malabe and the Metropolitan Campus at Kollupitiya, Colombo, the Kandy Centre at Kandy, the Jaffna Centre at Jaffna, the Kurunegala Centre at Kurunegala and the Matara Centre at Matara. This has been followed by planned expansion into Bangladesh and enrolment of students from Africa and South Asia. Since its inception SLIIT has produced over 50% of the professionals in Sri Lanka's IT and BPO industry, the fifth largest export earner in the country.
The Malabe campus covers an area over 25 acres and is the largest of the SLIIT campuses. This is the flagship campus for SLIIT. Malabe is home to the faculties of Computing, Business & Engineering.
The Kandy centre of the SLIIT was established in 2002. Students are required to transfer to the campuses at Colombo to continue their studies after completing the diploma levels of the degrees.
This is situated in Matara, Sri Lanka. This was established in 2004. This has facilities to first and second year students.
The centre at Kurunegala was started in 2013.
SLIIT has built partnerships with Australian universities including Curtin University, Deakin University, Monash University, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, University of New Castle, University of South Australia, University of Tasmania, QUT, Swinburne University and William Angliss Institute. These partnerships allows students to study for their degrees at SLIIT.
The partnership with Sheffield Hallam University in United Kingdom enables SLIIT to offer undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and degree transfer programs. The University of British Columbia allows students to study for postgraduate degree from SLIIT. Similar partnerships with other universities allow students to complete several semesters of study at SLIIT and to finish the degree work at the other universities.
- Faculty of Computing – Dean – Dr. Malitha Wijesundara
- Department of Information Technology – Head Nuwan Kodagoda
- Department of Graphics & Multimedia – Coodinator Dr. Tharangie Kumburuhena
- Faculty of Business
- Faculty of Engineering
Undergraduate degree courses
Faculty of Computing
- BSc in IT (Hons) specializing in:-
- BSc in IT specializing in:-
Faculty of Business
- B.B.A. (Hons) specializing in:-
Faculty of Engineering
SLIIT Degree Courses
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Civil Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Materials Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering
- BSc Eng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics)
Foreign Degree Courses
- BEng in Computer Systems Engineering
- BEng in Civil & Construction Engineering
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering
- BEng in Electrical Power Engineering
Sheffield Hallam University Degrees
Postgraduate degree programs
SLIIT Masters degrees
- MSc in Information Technology – Department of Information Technology
- MSc in Information Systems – Department of Information Technology
- MSc in Information Management – Department of Information Management
Sheffield Hallam University Masters Degree
- MSc in Enterprise Application Development
- MSc Telecommunication & Electronic Engineering
University of British Columbia Masters Degree
- M.S.S. (Master of Software Systems)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology, Information Systems, Information Management
- Advanced Diploma in Information Technology
- National Diploma in Information Technology
- National Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Associate Diploma in Information Technology
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing (General)
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing (Network Engineering)
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing (Software Development)
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business Management
SLIIT conducts the Cisco Network Academy courses (CCNA, CCNP and CCSP) under the only regional Cisco Network Academy in Sri Lanka. SLIIT is the only Microsoft Academy in Sri Lanka offering Certification Courses.
- Education and training of professionals at a high level of excellence in the fields of IT, Business and Engineering.
- Provision of consultancy services and software services to the public and private sector enterprises of Sri Lanka.
- Assisting and promoting enterprises, innovators and start-up companies with the necessary expertise to achieve business objectives.
- Conduct and promotion of research and development leading to specialized applications, services and innovative technology products.
- Expanding horizons in the fields of IT, Business and Engineering to reach International level.
SLIIT conducts IT and computer-related research and is a partner of ConceptNursery.com, Sri Lanka's Technology Incubator. The SLIIT Research Symposium, which is held annually, showcases and helps advance research in the IT field in Sri Lanka.
The Student's Interactive Society (SIS) is the main student body at SLIIT. The society organises student activities which includes the annual Freshers Night Dance, the Sports day and the Colours Night. Apart from the SIS there are the HEDRA which is the SLIIT programming community, the FOSS Community, the IT Students' Community (ITSC) which is the students' community of the Department of Information Technology, the CSNSC which is the student community of the CSN Department and the Drama & Arts Society and BIMS which is the student community of Business and Information management department student who follows Information Systems Degree and Business Management Degree.
- Student Interactive Society
- Sports Council
- FOSS Community
- Rotaract Club
- HEDRA SLIIT Programming Community
- IT Students Community
- CSN Students Community
- Students Community for faculty of business
- SLIIT Alumni Association
SLIIT promote sports and recreational activities. Malabe campus has a range of sporting facilities used by students including Cricket, Rugby, Basketball, Netball, [[Volleyball], Tennis, Table tennis, Badminton, Chess and Carrom. SLIIT sporting teams compete in a range of local and national competitions.
The Institute holds formal links with institutions from around the world to share teaching and research and facilitate staff and student exchanges.
- Curtin University of Technology, Australia
- Sheffield Hallam University, United Kingdom
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- Uppsala University, Sweden
- RMIT University, Australia
- Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- University of South Australia, Australia
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Canada
- Education in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan universities
- Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, SLIIT
- 2014/2015 Student Guide. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- SLIIT Research Symposium
- Thilan Wijesinghe: Walking Tall
- Statutory Boards, index.comlanka.com
- Institutes that recognized as degree awarding institutes by the Ministry of Higher Education
- SLIIT offers UK recognised BBA Degrees, ITpro.lk
- SLIIT produces 675 IT Graduates this year, Sundayobserver
- SLIIT expands network to Jaffna and Bangladesh
- SLIIT enrols students from Asia and Africa for new intake
- Media release, Curtin University of Technology
- SLIIT-SHU partnership, Sheffield Hallam University
- SLIIT Affiliations
- Keynote Address to the hSenid 10th Anniversary Celebration, 22 March 2007, U.S. Embassy, Colombo
- "SLIIT ranked No. 1 in higher education". Daily FT. December 21, 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- SLIIT Research Symposium, SLIIT
- Industrial Automation Laboratory