Sri Venkateswara College
|Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi|
|Motto in English||Truth through self-education|
|Established||20 August 1961(founder Durgabai Deshmukh)|
|Type||Public (Central Government)(Maintenance: 95%-UGC; 5%-College revenue; also one time grants for development from the trust on requirement basis)|
|Principal||Dr. P. Hemalata Reddy|
|Students||3304 (last updated Feb 2014)|
|Location||Dhaula Kuan, New Delhi, India|
|Campus||Urban, 15 acres, South Campus, University Enclave|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Sri Venkateswara College is a co-ed constituent college of the University of Delhi located in Delhi, India. The college awards degrees under the purview of the University and offers different courses at the undergraduate level. Vocational courses and several short-term add-on courses that serve as significant supplements to the academic profiles of the students are also offered. It is a national level college and not a minority college, and there are no reservations for any religious or linguistic minority.
Founded under the auspices of the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) Trust, as a result of the efforts of Durgabai Deshmukh, who was a member of the constituent assembly of India and also founder of the Andhra Education Society in Delhi(1948). She approached K. L. Rao(Member of Parliament) and C. Anna Rao(CEO of TTD), after realising the acute shortage of a degree level college in the city.The TTD is an autonomous organization managing the affairs of Lord Balaji. While it maintains 12 temples and their sub-shrines, it employs about 14,000 persons and runs charitable and educational institutions throughout the country. The primary objective of the college was to cater to the education needs of students from South India but it soon outgrew its regional character and has now become one of the most sought after co-educational colleges of India.
The college started up in 1961 in a school building of the Andhra Education Society in Rouse Avenue(now Deen Dyal Uppadhyay Marg near ITO), New Delhi, with 271 students and 13 faculty members. The foundation stone of the present campus was laid on 20 August 1961 by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, former president of India (then vice-president). The college moved into this newly constructed campus at Dhaula Kuan, New Delhi, on 25 August 1971. In August 2010, the College celebrated its golden anniversary ushering in the fiftieth year of pioneering excellence in the field of education. Pratibha Patil
The college came into being through the vision of Durgabai Deshmukh, K. L. Rao and C. Anna Rao in 1961. Initially starting off as a BA pass college it began by offering B.A. courses in Telugu, Tamil, Hindi and Sanskrit. Within few years of acquiring its new campus, and led by its principal V Krishnamoorthy, the college introduced honours courses in arts and science. In 1973 the University of Delhi recognised it as one of its constituent colleges, paving the way for future expansion. From its beginning with just language courses, the college now began opening academic departments in other disciplines: Maths and Statistics, English, Political Science, History, Botany, and Zoology. The Department of Chemistry, which had initially provided chemistry papers for other departments, was permitted to conduct its own honours course in 1983. Honours courses in physics-1993, electronics-1987, and biochemistry-1989 began. It is a fairly young college in comparison to other colleges of the university which provide honours courses. Infrastructure developments were undertaken starting from 2006 using fund accrued under CPE, Star College, OBC expansion fund, Golden Jubilee fund and TTD grants. Allegation of embezzlement have not been thoroughly investigated. The status of College with Potential for Excellence(UGC 2004) and Star College(DBT 2011) were awarded to it, of which CPE was withdrawn in 2011 because of lack of NAAC accredition which is absent in all of Delhi collegesIndia Today . Pass courses in BA, BSc, BCom, Life Science, Bio Science and Hons in Tamil, Telgu were discontinued in 2013. Departments of English, Physics and Biochemistry are generally more revered in the college. TTD organises its Kalyan Mahotsav for North India at the college ground quiet frequently, which witnesses a large crowd of devotees of lord Balaji.The Hindu
A Governing Body, consisting of the following:-
- Ten members nominated by the TTD, one amongst them elected as Chairman and another one as Treasurer.
- The Principal of the college (ex-officio) Member-Secretary.
- Two members from the University.(for two years)
- Two members of the teaching staff by rotation according to seniority.(for two years)
- V Krishnamoorthy 1973-1993
- A Sankara Reddy 1993-2009
- P Hemalatha Reddy 2009-present
- B.A. (Hons) Economics
- B.A. (Hons) English
- B.A. (Hons) Hindi
- B.A. (Hons) History
- B.A. (Hons) Political Science
- B.A. (Hons) Sanskrit
- B.A. (Hons) Sociology
- B.A. Programme
- B. Com. Programme
- B. Com. (Hons)
- B. Sc. Life Sciences
- B. Sc. (Hons) Bio-Chemistry
- B. Sc. (Hons) Botany
- B. Sc. (Hons) Chemistry
- B. Sc. (Hons) Electronics
- B. Sc. (Hons) Mathematics
- B. Sc. (Hons) Physics
- B. Sc. (Hons) Statistics
- B. Sc. (Hons) Zoology
- B. Sc. (Hons.) Biological Sciences
- One Year Certificate course in German.(open to outsiders)
- One Year Diploma course in German.(open to outsiders)
- One Year Advanced Diploma course in German.(open to outsiders)
- Certificate Programme in Bioinformatics & Computational Biology.(only for students of the college)
- Certificate course in Nanotechnology.(only for students of the college)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Molecular & Biochemical Technology.(through all India entrance test)
- One Year Postgraduate Certificate course in Travel & Tourism Management.(through all India entrance test)
- Hostel: Situated within the campus, the Sri Venkateswara College hostel has 36 rooms to accommodate 72 boys and another 36 rooms for 72 girls. The newly constructed hostel started functioning in 2008.
- The Bioinformatics Center was established in 2006 to promote biology teaching through bioinformatics. It was funded initially by the Department of Biotechnology under the Biotechnology Information System (BTISnet) program. It is the first Bioinformatics Center established in the University of Delhi and North India for the benefit of undergraduate students.BIC
- Sporting facilities are poor except the cricket field which host district level competitions. Modern and better Lawn tennis and basketball facilities are under construction since 2012. There are no swimming area or shooting range as in other colleges of the university.
- An auditorium with a seating capacity of 800 is under construction since 2006.
The college encourages student participation in various co-curricular activities organized by the Fine Arts Association. The college attracts a large number of students from (outside delhi) all the states of north India, almost 60%, as is the case with other Delhi university colleges, but unique to SVC is its sizable student crowd from south delhi localities, Delhi Cantonment and Gurgaon owing to its location in the south of the capital city. Outstation students generally reside at student friendly accommodations in Satya Niketan, South Extension and Lajpat Nagar, since college hostel is limited to just a few beds. The college's location in the midst of the south campus of the university places it in a unique position. It is unable to attract students using the historical setting of the north campus and also it is comparatively young given that most of the popular courses here were started in the early 90's, resulting in a marked absence of a long illustrious alumni list. Infrastructure of the college resembles that of a government office and the neighboring colleges do not provide much of a competitive environment. But still it has managed to carve out a name for itself in the city owing to two primary factors. First is a dedicated faculty which keep academic standards high and second is an exceptional student crowd which gives it a very cosmopolitan look, making it the most talked about aspect of the college.
Annual Cultural Festival - NEXUS
NEXUS, the annual inter-college cultural festival of Sri Venkateswara College was founded in 1978. The three day long festival attracts students from all across the University. The USP of the festival are its professional shows, including the Rock Show and Celebrity Show. Apart from this it holds competitions in Dramatics, Dance, Music, Fine Arts, Literary etc. Renowned rock bands like Parikrama, Indian Ocean, Advaita, Euphoria etc. and celebrities like KK, Sukhwinder Singh, Shankar Mahadevan etc. have performed at the festival.
India Today rankings in 2014
- RANKING FOR 2013 Ranked 11th Best Science College(4th all india factual rank)(5th co-ed in delhi)(1st factual rank in 2011), 19th best Commerce college and 18th best Arts College(5th factual rank in 2011) by India Today group in All India ranking.
- RANKINGS 2014 ARTS(16TH ALL INDIA, 9TH IN DELHI, 5TH DELHI COED);; SCIENCE(11TH ALL INDIA, 6TH IN DELHI, 5TH DELHI COED);; COMMERCE(13TH ALL INDIA, 5TH IN DELHI, 4TH DELHI COED)
- Allegation of favoritism in teacher recruitment in exchange of Padma Shri for former principal A Sankara Reddy(1993-2009).News Report
- Provident fund scam suspected but not investigated, under A Sankara Reddy.
Some of the alumni of Sri Venkateswara College are -
- Gaurav Kapur, VJ, Actor, Sports Presenter
- Mona Vasu. TV Actress
- Suhail Yusuf Khan, Sarangi Player and Vocalist, Advaita
- Chayan Adhikari, Vocalist, Advaita
- Tania Sachdev, Chess Player
- Shabana Raza (Neha Bajpai), Bollywood Actress
- Aditi Singh Sharma. Indian Singer
- Siddharth Kher, Bollywood Actor
- Raghu Ram, Reality show producer
- "About College". Official website.
- "Venkateswara to celebrate golden jubilee". The Times of India. Aug 12, 2010.
-  Venkateswara College enters jubilee year
-  Hostel
- "Sri Venkateswara College Portrait". Official website.
- "Know Your Fest!". Hindustan Times. Jun 29, 2012.
- "The zesty fests of DU". Hindustan Times. Jun 10, 2011.
-  DIRECTORY OF BEST COLLEGES 2013: SCIENCE
-  DIRECTORY OF BEST COLLEGES 2013: COMMERCE
-  DIRECTORY OF BEST COLLEGES 2013: ARTS