Sri Venkateswara University
|Sri Venkateswara University|
|శ్రీ వెంకటేశ్వర విశ్వవిద్యాలయం|
|Motto||Jnanam Samyaga Vekshanam|
|Motto in English||"Wisdom lies in proper perspective"|
|Budget||INR 185.2 million (12th plan)|
|Location||Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India|
- 1 Centers of learning
- 2 Library
- 3 Notable alumni
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Centers of learning
College of Engineering
Sri Venkateswara University College of Engineering is an autonomous institution whose foundation was laid by the late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India, on 13 October 1959.
Centre for Studies in Peace and Non-violence
The general purpose of the centre is to study peace and non-violence in their widest contexts. The centre has collaboration with Gandhi Smriti and Darsan Samithi, New Delhi (Government of India); the International Centre for Gandhian Studies and Research, Government of India, New Delhi; Shiksha Mandal, Wardha, National Foundation for Communal Harmony, Government of India, New Delhi; and the University of Notre Dame, U.S.A. It is Tier 1 college.
Department of English
Department of Law
The university has a department of law providing higher education in the field of law.
Department of Physics
The university has a separate Department of Physics. The department offers M.Sc. (two years), Integrated M.Sc. (five* years) in Physics, M.Tech (two years) in Energy Management,M.Tech (two years) in Space technology, M.Phil and Ph.D programs. The faculty members are actively engaged in research in thrust areas of physics which include atmospheric physics, laser and integrated optics, condensed matter physics, electronics and solar physics.
Department of Natural Sciences
This is the Natural Sciences department of the university.
Department of Library and Information Science
the Department of Library and Information Science was started in 1974 and has been preparing library and information science professionals for more than 30 years. The department offers Master's of Library and Information Science (two-year integrated course) under CBCS, with four semesters. Besides this the department also running a Doctoral degree leading to Ph.D. and M.Phil courses as full- and part-time.
The department is ahead in research and training in library and information science, having expertisation in fields of LIS. Admissions are done through an annual SVUCET test. The intake strength is 20, with five addition seats allotted under the self-financing scheme. The students get fellowships, scholarships, etc. Hostel facility is available to all the students. The reservation policy is followed as per the rules of the government of Andhra Pradesh.
Sri Venkateswara University Library, started in 1955 to serve the needs of the students, researchers and teachers of the university colleges, has a membership of 6397. Housed in a spacious building with seating capacity for about 400 readers, the library has 25 professionals and 50 administrative and supporting staff. It has a total collection of 2,95,000 volumes which includes 35,000 bound volumes of journals and nearly 3500 theses and dissertations. It subscribes to 350 periodicals at an annual cost of 12 lakh of rupees, and its annual budget is nearly 56 lakh.
The library provides services such as lending of books, reference and bibliographic service, reprographic service. It has microfilm readers, audio-video systems, slide projector and public address system.
Special features are a fully equipped binding section and a small children's wing which was opened in the Gandhi centenary year 1969.
The library is gearing up for computerization and is participating in the INFLIBNET program.
The library has the honour of hosting the following national conference and seminars:
- ILA 18th Annual Conference in December 1969.
- INDAAL 2nd Annual conference in January 1980.
- UGC Seminar on use of Microforms and Space Management in Libraries in August 1984.
- IASLIC 16th Annual Conference in December 1987.
- Seminar on Staffing in University Libraries in March 1991.
- Seminar on Library Automation and Networking problems and Prospects in March 1996.
- UGC national seminar on "Digital Libraries and establishment of Institutional Repositories", 23–24 March 2007
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu, Present chief minister, A.P.
- Ramachandra Naidu Galla, Indian industrialist, the founder of the Amara Raja Group of companies
- Dr. Prem Reddy (born 1948), cardiologist and a major owner of Prime Healthcare Services
- Dr.Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- SVU College of Engineering, Sri Venkateswara University
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences
- Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam
- Sree Vidyanikethan Educational Trust