|District of Andhra Pradesh|
Location of Srikakulam district in Andhra Pradesh
|Administrative division||Srikakulam district|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Srikakulam (Lok Sabha constituency)|
|• Assembly seats||10|
|• Total||5,837 km2 (2,254 sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||1014|
Srikakulam District, formerly known as Chicacole, is the extreme northeastern district of Andhra Pradesh, situated within the geographic co-ordinates of 18°-20’ and 19°-10’ N and 83°-50’ and 84°-50’ E. The district is skirted to a distance by Kandivalasagedda, Vamsadhara and Bahuda at certain stretches of their courses white a line of heights of the great Eastern Ghats run from the northeast.
Vizianagaram District flanks in the south and west while Odisha bounds it on the north and Bay of Bengal on the East. It is the second least populous district of Andhra Pradesh (out of 13), after Vizianagaram.
Evidence of early historic man and his activities during Stone Age and Iron Age periods have been recently discovered at Sangamayya Konda and Dannanapeta. The speciality of Dannanapeta Iron Age megalithic site is a large single capstone as a dolmen with 36 ft in length and 14 ft in width and 2 ft thickness. Sailada Hills consists of 36 upright rocks and natural caves used for habitation by Iron Age man in Amudalavalasa mandal of the district.
Jainism and Buddhism
Evidences of Jain monuments and Buddhist remnants were discovered near Sangamayya Konda. Jain rock beds were discovered at Dannanapeta near Amudalavalasa in the district. Salihundam is a famous Buddhist Remnants site situated on the south bank of River Vamsadhara at a distance of 5 kilometers west of Kalingapatnam and 18 kilometers from Srikakulam town.
Srikakulam District was carved out in 1950 by bifurcating it from Visakhapatnam District, it remained unaffected in its territorial jurisdiction for quite some time. But in November, 1969 the district lost 63 Villages from Saluru Taluk and 44 Villages from Bobbili Taluk on account of their transfer to the then newly constituted Gajapathinagaram Taluk of Visakhapatnam District. Again in May, 1979, the district had undergone major territorial changes on account of the formation of new District with headquarters at Vizianagaram which involved transfer of Salur, Bobbili, Parvathipuram and Cheepurupalli Taluks to the new District.Srikakulam's culture is a blend of traditional festivals, food, music and theatres.
Srikakulam district occupies an area of 5,837 square kilometres (2,254 sq mi), comparatively equivalent to Australia's Melville Island. Srikakulam district can be divided into two main distinct natural divisions. A portion of Srikakulam district is plain terrain with intense agriculture and another portion of the district is rocky and hilly terrain covered with forests. Some of the Mahendragiri Hills also covers Srikakulam district. Most of the forest area of the plain terrain has been damaged by intense agriculture. Kotthuru, Hiramandalam, Pathapatnam, Kalingadal reservoir and some other areas are still covered with dense forests.
Srikakulam is located 100 km (62 mi) north of Visakhapatnam. It has a population of 2,537,593 of which 10.98% is urban as of 2001.
Srikakulam district has the longest coast line about 193 km (120 mi) in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is bordered by Odisha on the north, Vizianagaram district on the west and south, Bay of Bengal on the east.
Major Rivers flowing through the district are River Nagavali, River Vamsadhara, Mahendratanaya, Champavati, Bahuda, Kumbhikota Gedda, Suvarnamukhi, Vegavati, Gomukhi. The Nagavali and Vamsadhara are the major rivers in Srikakulam district. These two river basins together constitute about 5% of the area. The Mahendratanaya and Bahuda rivers are two minor river basins in the district. Others are Benjigedda, Peddagedda, Kandivalasa gedda. Major irrigation projects on these rivers Vamsadhara Project, Narayanapuram Anicut, Thotapalli Regulator and some medium projects at Pydigam Project, Onigadda are providing a total ayacut of 69,373 acres (280.74 km2).
147 According to the 2011 census Srikakulam district has a population of 2,699,471, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 147th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 462 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,200/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 6.38%. Srikakulam has a sex ratio of 1014 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 62.3%.
The District capital is Srikakulam, a municipality and mandal headquarters of Srikakulam mandal. Srikakulam formly known as Poor Man's ooty.
There are 6 urban units in Srikakulam District. Out of these, 4 are Municipalities and 1 Nagara panchayati and 1 are notified Panchayats. The Population details of these urban units are as follows:y
- Srikakulam 117,320
- Amadalavalasa 37,931
- Ichapuram 32,662
- Palasa-Kasibugga 49,899
- Rajam 23,424(Nagara Panchayathi)
- Sompeta 17,423
According to 2007–08, International Institute for Population Sciences, 86.9% had access to electricity, 70.4% had drinking water, 18.5% toilet facilities, and 47.2% lived in a pucca (permanent) home. 31.5% of girls wed before the legal age of 18 and 90.1% of interviewees carried a BPL card.
Revenue divisions and mandals
|Srikakulam Division||Tekkali Division||Palakonda Division|
Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies
APSRTC runs many bus services to all the major cities and towns of the state from the district which includes buses to Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Guntur, Rajamundry, Kakinada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram.
- 'Jananayak' Chowdary Satyanarayana (Taamra Patra Graheeta)
- 'Sardar' Gautu Lachanna (Taamra Patra Graheeta)
- Jatiya Geyakavitha Sarvabhowmudu Garimella Satyanarayana (Priyagraharam)
- Gidugu Venkata Ramamoorty
- Garimella Satyanarayana (poet, freedom fighter)
- Pingali Nagendrarao(writer)
- Kalipatnam Ramarao (writer)
- Rachakonda Viswanatha Sastry(Ravisastry)(Writer)
- Vandrangi Ramarao(Bhavasri) (writer)
- Balivada Kantha Rao(writer)
- J. V. Somayajulu(actor)
- Ghazal Srinivas
- Sripada Pinakapani (musical artist)
- Vaddadi Papaiah (artist)
- Amarapu Satyanarayana(actor/Drama Artist)
- J. V. Ramana Murthy (Actor)
- Sigilipalli Syamla Rao (Actor)
- Sarath Babu (Actor)
- Vangapandu (Praja gayakudu-Singer)
Places of interest
- Arasavalli (temple of sun god)
- Srikurmam (temple of Vishhnu-Kurmavatara)
- Ravivalasa (Sri Endala Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple near Tekkali)
- Mukhalingam (temple of Shiva)
- Salihundam Buddhist Remnant site at Gara near kalingapatnam
- Dantapuri Buddhist Remnant site and Ruins of an ancient city
- Telineelapuram(birds santury)
- Mahendra Tanaya ( It is historical Place Bheema temple is Famous)
- Vasudeva temple From mandasa (very Historical temple in andra pradesh recently it was adopted to Endowment department it is under TTD)
There are many sun kissed beaches an the most famous of them include
The only university in the district include Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University, Srikakulam and medical colleges namely Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences in Srikakulam town, GEMS—Great Eastern Medical Speciality and Hospital in Ragolu village.
There are several other colleges for degree, government post graduate and engineering college at Srikakulam town, Narasannapeta, Tekkali, Technovalley, Baruva, Narasannapeta, Ichapuram, Palakonda, Amadalavalasa and Pathapatnam. There are 10 engineering colleges in the district.
- "District - Guntur". Andhra Pradesh Online Portal. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "West Godavari district profile". Andhra Pradesh State Portal.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "Iron Age habitation found in Srikakulam". The Hindu. 16 Oct 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Huge dolmen of Iron Age discovered". 20 May 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Remnants of Jain monuments found". 21 Aug 2009. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- Law, Gwillim (2011-09-25). "Districts of India". Statoids. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
Melville Island 5,765km2
- Census GIS India
- DistrictProfile.jsp Irrigation profile of Srikakulam district
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- "District Level Household and Facility Survey (DLHS-3), 2007-08: India. Andhra Prades" (PDF). International Institute for Population Sciences and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "How Do I? : Obtain Marriage Certificate". National Portal Content Management Team, National Informatics Centre. 2005. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
To be eligible for marriage, the minimum age limit is 21 for males and 18 for females.
- "Industrial Profile - Srikakulam District". Commissionerate of Industries - Government of Andhra Pradesh. p. 4.
- District-wise Assembly Constituencies in Andhra Pradesh
- Dr.B.R.Ambedkar University
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Srikakulam district.|
- Website of Srikakulam District Collectorate
- Srikakulam (district) travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Srikakulam medical information
- Srikakulam District Profile
||Rayagada district, Odisha||Gajapati district, Odisha||Ganjam district, Odisha|
|Vizianagaram district||Bay of Bengal|