|Motto||Sikkhā viruḷhi sampattā (Education is Growth)|
|Campus||Prasarnmit (Urban) and Ongkharak (Rural)|
|Colours||Grey and Red|
Srinakharinwirot University (Thai: มหาวิทยาลัยศรีนครินทรวิโรฒ) is a public university located in Bangkok, Thailand. The university was founded in 1949. It was named by King Bhumibol Adulyadej after his mother and is the leading Thai university in the field of education and fine arts. It is the first institution of higher education in Thailand to concentrate solely on teacher training.
Built upon the basis of Advanced Teacher’s College and Educational College, Srinakharinwirot University has firmly established educational basis within democratic, Thai society. Six decades following the basis were well carried through principles and educational theories. Developments include changes in university management, from a practitioner’s college to a multi-science university or comprehensive university. For three decades, the multi-science university has aimed at applying multiple sciences to empower intellectual society by putting efforts in research and academic excellence.
Srinakharinwirote University currently has two campus:
The university had its beginnings when the Higher Teacher Training School at Prasarnmit was founded in 1949. Prasarnmit was the first of its kind in the country’s history. In 1953, it became the College of Education, having authority to grant a Bachelor’s degree in Education in the subject majors taught in Thai primary and secondary schools. Subsequently, programs at both the Bachelor and Master levels were developed. In 1964, it was decided to establish branch campus for the different regions of the country. The following were eventually created:
- Phitsanulok campus, for the north, now Naresuan University
- Maha Sarakham campus, for the northeast, now Mahasarakham University
- Bangsaen campus, for the southeast, now Burapha University
- Songkhla campus, for the south, now Thaksin University
Additional central campus were also established:
- Pathumwan campus, now merged with Prasarnmit campus
- Physical Education campus, now merged with Faculty of Physical Education, Ongkharak campus
- Bang Khen campus, now merged with Prasarnmit campus
In 1974, the College of Education became a comprehensive university by a Royal Decree of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who graciously granted the university the name of Srinakharinwirot (See-na-ka-reen-wee-rot), which means ‘the glory of the city.’
Initially, the university offered undergraduate degrees in education, humanities, social science, science, physical education and graduate degrees in education. In the higher education development plan phase 5th (1982-1986), faculty of Medicine was added; in phase 7th (1992-1996), engineer, fine arts, and dentistry; and in phase 8th (1997-2001), pharmacy, health science, and nursing. SWU Prasanmit has developed to be a modern, metropolitan, center city university focusing on graduate studies. SWU Ongkaruk has focused on the development of health science, technology, environment and community services.
Over the years, the regional campuses grew in size and eventually became separate universities. However, they preserve an unofficial tie with Srinakarinwirot University and regard the Bangkok university as their "mother campus".
Srinakharinwirot University has philosophy and ideals of being a higher educational institution that constantly progresses and moves towards global context and society based on its belief that “Education is Growth”, the kind of philosophy and ideals that SWU has to incorporate into strategic plans. We do have culture, ethics or moral values, specifically “wisdom, respect and harmony”. Those who act without wisdom, live without respect to others, cause troubles to community, envy others, make profits out of others’ pain, are far from coming to terms with “Being SWU”, and thus in need of development.
Vision and ““Srinakharinwirot University’s Turning Point”
- 1. Srinakharinwirot University is a higher education organization gracefully established in both Thai and global communities.
- 2. Srinakharinwirot University has unique identity, strength and insight into academics. SWU creates academic innovations and effectively collaborate in order to develop students’ ability in living sufficiently and being generous in society.
- 3. Srinakharinwirot University administers on the unique identity and standard index of impact factors.
- 4. Srinakharinwirot University proactively develops the organization on the basis of intellectuality, academics and research.
- 5. Srinakharinwirot University creates an integral culture in developing university’s mission and regulations to come to terms with “being a university”.
- 6. Srinakharinwirot University believes that university students, the precious stars of the university and their community, must be developed to their highest esteem.
- 7. Srinakharinwirot University is determined to belong to its community, share knowledge and develop effectively along with society.
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Physical Education
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Health Science
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Agricultural Product Innovation and Technology
- Faculty of Environmental Culture and Ecotourism
- International College for Sustainability Studies
- College of Social Communication Innovation
- College of Bhodivijalaya
- The Graduate School
- School of Economics and Public Policy
Institutes / Center
- Behavioral Science Research Institute
- Institute of Culture and Arts
- Educational Research Development and Demonstration Institute
- Strategic Wisdom and Research Institute
- Research and Development Institute for Special Education
- Educational and Psychological Test Bureau
- Computer Center
- Center for Educational Media and Technology
- Central Library
- Innovation Learning Center
- Science Education Center
- Prasarnmit Demonstration School, Srinakharinwirot University (Elementary)
- Prasarnmit Demonstration School, Srinakharinwirot University (Secondary)
- Patumwan Demonstration School, Srinakharinwirot University
- Prasarnmit International Programme, Srinakharinwirot University (Secondary)
International Relations Division (662) 649-5000 ext. 5640, 5641, 5642 or (662) 260-1012