Sri Rama Rajyam
|Sri Rama Rajyam|
|Produced by||Yalamanchali Sai Babu|
Mullapudi Venkata Ramana
|Cinematography||P. R. K. Raju|
|Edited by||G. G. Krishna Rao|
Sri Sai Baba Movies
|Running time||170 minutes|
|Budget||400 million (US$6.5 million)|
|Box office||707 million (US$11 million)|
Sri Rama Rajyam is a 2011 devotional Telugu film directed by Bapu based on the epic Ramayana. The film depicts Lord Rama's rule of Ayodhya after he returns home from Lanka, his separation from Sita and her reclusive life in the forest as she raises their children Lava and Kusa. The film bagged seven Andhra Pradesh State Nandi Awards, including the Nandi Award for Best Feature Film – (Gold) for the year 2011.
It features Nandamuri Balakrishna as Lord Rama with Nayantara as Sita in the lead roles. Akkineni Nageswara Rao, Srikanth and Roja appear in supporting roles. Music of the film is composed by Ilaiyaraaja. Yalamanchali Sai Babu produced the film under Sri Sai Baba Movies banner. The film was critically acclaimed and a commercial success in overseas. The film had a special screening at International Film Festival of India on 28 November 2011. The movie was dubbed into Tamil in 2012 under the same title with S. P. Balasubrahmanyam and Chinmayi voicing the roles of Balakrishna and Nayanatara respectively.
Lord Shrirama (Balakrishna) retains his wife Sita (Nayantara) comes back to their kingdom Ayodhya, after killing Ravana. And Shrirama will continue his charisma in ruling the kingdom after his Pattabhishekam. One day he hears the sweet news that Sita is pregnant. Everything looks fine, but on one day Shrirama came to know that people in his kingdom are having discussions about Sita’s character, as she spent some time in Ravana’s place. So, Rama decides himself to leave Sita and she is sent to the forest. There she was protected by Valmiki and was given shelter in his Ashram. Later she gives birth at Ashram to twins; Lava and Kusa. What are the incidents that happens next forms the Sri Rama Rajyam Story. Film released worldwide in 300 theaters.
- Nandamuri Balakrishna as Lord Sri Rama
- Nayantara as Sita
- Akkineni Nageswara Rao as Maharshi Valmiki
- Srikanth as Lakshmana
- Roja as Bhudevi
- Brahmanandam as Chakali Tippadu (Washerman)
- Murali Mohan as Janaka Maha Raju
- M. Balaiah as Maharshi Vasistha
- A.V.S as Narada
- Vindu Dara Singh as Hanuman
- Sameer as Bharata
- K. R. Vijaya as Kousalya Devi
- Sudha as Queen Sunaina (Janaka's Wife)
- Sana as Kaika
- Master Gaurav as Lava
- Master Dhanush Kumar as Kusha
- Master Pavan Sriram as Balaraju (Child Hanuman)
The film was released on 17 November 2011. The film has been released in Tamil on 27 July, the Malayalam version was released as well. Producer Sai Babu has said that a good response has come from Malayalam movie lovers and is planning to release the Hindi version soon.
Upon release, the film received positive reviews from critics. Jeevi from Idlebrain gave a three and half stars commented "Bapu comes up with an interesting and sensible film in the form of Sri Ramarajyam. Go and watch it!". CNN-IBN which gave a four stars, said "Sri Rama Rajyam is one film that the Telugu film industry can be proud of. 'Sri Rama Rajyam' is a well-known story, so it's a challenge to remake such a classic, but Bapu's good work turns the remake into another classic. Filmgoers, who look for classics, should not miss this film".
Deccan Chronicle rated three stars explains "Superstar Balakrishna finally stepped into his legendary father NTR's shoes and impressed audiences playing the role of Lord Rama. Veteran director Bapu deserves all the praise he gets for remaking the classic Lava Kusa (1963) and retaining the soul of the original". NDTV described as "In all, Sri Rama Rajyam is a feel-good film that brilliantly showcases our ancient culture".
Oneindia.in noted "Sri Rama Rajyam is a feel good film that showcases our ancient culture, heritage and values. The way Bapu managed to make the film into a visual and musical delight is extraordinary and it is a film that can give you an enriching experience while entertaining you in good measure". Rediff gave three stars said "Kudos to Bapu and Saibabu for recreating the Ramayana magic on celluloid. Only Bapu, the veteran director, could have executed this mammoth task so well. Sri Ramarajyam is an optical feast. Go for it". Sify gave verdict as "Good" and says "The movie holds ample strength to live up to the expectations at the box office. Bapu and his associate Ramana does not deviate much from Lava Kusa, and they took great pains to see that the element of exaggeration is completely checked".
|Nandi Awards - 2011||Best Feature Film – Gold||Sai Babu||Won|
|Best Music Director||Ilaiyaraaja||Won|
|Best Make Up||P. Ram Babu||Won|
|Best Female Dubbing Artist||Sunitha||Won|
|59th Filmfare Awards South||Best Actress – Telugu||Nayanatara||Won|
|Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu||Sreya Ghoshal
|Best Lyricist – Telugu||Jonnavithhula Ramalingeswara Rao
|1st South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Cinematographer||P. R. K. Raju||Won|
|Sri Rama Rajyam|
|Soundtrack album by Ilaiyaraaja|
|Released||15 August 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The audio of the film was released on 15 August 2011 and the launch was held at Bhadrachalam under Bhadradri Ramayya and Seetamma’s Sannidi on the same day. The soundtrack was composed by Ilaiyaraaja and it features 15 tracks. Lyrics for all the songs were penned by Jonnavithhula Ramalingeswara Rao.
|1.||"Jagadananda Karaka"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Shreya Ghoshal||5:16|
|2.||"Evadunnadee lokamlo"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||1:32|
|3.||"Sitarama Charitam"||Shreya Ghoshal, Shweta Mohan||6:35|
|4.||"Srirama Lera"||Shreya Ghoshal, Sriram Parthasarathy||4:47|
|5.||"Devulle Mechchindi"||K. S. Chitra, Shreya Ghoshal||5:25|
|6.||"Gali Ningi Neeru"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:36|
|7.||"Ramayanamu"||K. S. Chitra, Shreya Ghoshal||6:30|
|8.||"Dandakam"||Surabhi Shravani, Keertana||1:13|
|9.||"Sita Shrimantam"||Shreya Ghoshal||4:59|
|10.||"Rama Rama"||Swetha Mohan, Anita||4:35|
|12.||"Idi Pattabhi Ramuni"||Swetha Mohan||2:37|
|13.||"Saptashwarathamarudham"||S. P. Balasubramanyam||1:10|
|14.||"Shankuchakralu Polina"||Swetha Mohan||1:02|
|15.||"Mangalam Ramunaku"||Anita, Keertana||0:53|
- "Sri Rama Rajyam Movie Official Blog". Naga Chaitanya. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- "'Sri Rama Rajyam': T Cool- C Nil". GreatAndhra. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "2011 Nandi Awards winners list - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Aakash. "Balakrishna’s Sri Rama Rajyam Launched Today". 16 reels. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- "2011: Telugu films bomb in overseas market!". greatandhra. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- M Suganth (13 November 2011). "Sri Rama Rajyam in demand". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Suresh Krishnamoorthy (18 November 2011). "Reliving the magic of 'Lava Kusa'". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "Sri Rama Rajyam at IFFI". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Sri Rama Rajyam gets good reception in Malayalam". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Sri Ramarajyam review: Good". Idlebrain. 17 November 2011.
- "Telugu Review: 'Sri Rama Rajyam' is a must watch". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- B.V.S. Prakash. "Sri Rama Rajyam review: Glimpses of NTR in Balayya’s role". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 19 November 2011.
- "Review in pics: Sri Rama Rajyam". NDTV.
- "Sri Rama Rajyam – Movie Review". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Radhika Rajamani. "Review: Sri Ramarajyam is a visual treat". Rediff. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Sri Ramarajyam review". Sify.
- "SRR completes 50 days". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Sri Rama Rajyam 100 Days Today". teluguone.com. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "59th Idea Filmfare Awards South (Winners list)". Filmfare Awards. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "Sree Rama Rajyam Audio Release August 15". teluguone.com. Retrieved 5 July 2011.