St. Ambrose Academy
|St. Ambrose Academy|
Omnia Christus est nobis!
Christ is everything for us!
|602 Everglade Drive
Madison, Wisconsin, (Dane County), 53717
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Patron saint(s)||St. Ambrose of Milan|
|President||David R. J. Stiennon|
|Color(s)||Red and Gold|
|Sports||Basketball, eight-man football, cross country, girls soccer|
|Director of Classical Education||Constance Nielsen|
|Dean of Faculty||Theresa Klinkhammer|
Established in 2003, with classrooms at a facility of Cardinal Stritch University in Madison, by 2004 the school had 14 students. That year the Madison Plan Commission granted a conditional use permit to St. Thomas Aquinas parish at 602 Everglade Drive for up to 60 students. The school continues to operate in the religious education wing of St. Thomas Aquinas parish.
In 2006 and 2007 students attended the March for Life in Washington, D.C. Scott Schmiesing, former principal of St. Francis Xavier School in Cross Plains became principal of St. Ambrose Academy in July, 2008. In 2009 the school was accredited by NAPC*IS, the National Association of Private Catholic* and Independent Schools. In 2010 the City of Madison Plan Commission approved enrollment of up to 140 at the school's St. Thomas Aquinas Parish quarters.
The six core subjects are English, history, Latin, math, religion, and science. Topical studies that follow a historical progression are taught in a four-year cycle for the senior high and a three-year cycle for the junior high. Each cycle's historical topic is integrated in history, English, and religion, with the other courses reinforcing these studies where possible, yielding a "unified and interdisciplinary approach to each historical period." High school students are required to take two years of Latin.
|One||Ancients||The Church in the Pagan World/Logic||Biology||Ancients|
|Three||America/Government||Moral Theology, Liturgy & Sacraments||Physics||American/Government|
|Four||Enlightenment/The Modern World||The Church in the Modern World||Advanced Science||Enlightenment/The Modern World|
Religion instruction focuses on "the analysis and understanding of the Scriptures and significant Church documents (such as papal encyclicals and the Catechism)."
- Purpose, St. Ambrose Academy website
- "West Side Parochial School Ok'd", The Capital Times, Madison, Wis., October 19, 2004.
- "Faith Haven", The Capital Times, Madison, Wis., October 13, 2006.
- Wagner, Kat (January 17, 2008), "St. Ambrose students to attend march", Diocese of Madison Catholic Herald: 8
- "St. Ambrose Academy names Scott Schmiesing as new principal", Diocese of Madison Catholic Herald, April 24, 2008: 8
- http://www.ambroseacademy.org/joomla/index.php St. Ambrose Accredited by NAPC*IS
- "City approves request to expand enrollment at St. Ambrose Academy", Diocese of Madison Catholic Herald, June 3, 2010
- Course of Study
- What is Classical Education?, St. Ambrose Academy website