Saint Anthony Main
Saint Anthony Main is a shopping and office complex located on Main Street in the Nicollet Island/East Bank neighborhood of Southeast Minneapolis in the U.S. state of Minnesota. Commonly the area is associated with Northeast, Minneapolis as it is actually northeast of downtown on the east side of the Mississippi River. It opened as a festival marketplace in the 1980s. Though initially popular, with many small shops selling tourist items, it had economic troubles after noise restrictions reduced its hours of operation. The area underwent a resurgence during the condominium boom in the early 2000s, and several condo projects started in and around the area; including the adjoining Pillsbury A Mill complex. It is now home to a movie theater, four bars and restaurants, a small cafe, and a Segway tour operator.
Saint Anthony Main sits on the other side of Central Avenue from Riverplace, a housing and office complex. It fronts the river at Saint Anthony Falls, the only waterfall on the Mississippi River, and sits next to the Hennepin Island Hydroelectric Plant, host of the Water Power Park, which opened in Spring 2007.
Some of the buildings in the complex date from the 1850s when the Village of Saint Anthony on the northeast side of the Mississippi River was still separate from Minneapolis itself. Several are contributing properties to the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District:
- Pracna Building, 117 Main Street SE (1890, now Pracna on Main)
- Salisbury & Satterlee Company Complex, 201-205 and 219 Main Street SE (1885, now Vic's Dining and Tuggs)
- Upton Block/ Union Iron Works, 129 Main Street SE (1855)
- Martin and Morrison Block, 127-129 Main Street SE (1858)
- "A Minnesota Sampler: National Register of Historic Places". Minnesota Historical Society. Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- Saint Anthony Main website
- Photographs of area around Saint Anthony Main, from About.com
- Sold Down the River Article on Riverfront Development