St. Anthony West, Minneapolis
|St. Anthony West|
Location of St. Anthony West within the U.S. city of Minneapolis
|• Total||0.551 sq mi (1.43 km2)|
|• Density||4,000/sq mi (1,500/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
The historic neighborhood was established in 1849 on the banks of the Mississippi River as the Village of Saint Anthony Falls. These falls were seen in 1680 by Father Louis Hennepin, a Jesuit who is credited with being the first European to explore the area that is now Minneapolis. He named the falls after his patron saint, St. Anthony of Padua. The neighborhood merged with the new city of Minneapolis in the late 1850s.
The neighborhood is within walking distance of downtown and the University of Minnesota. St. Anthony West is also host to Boom Island Park, a 14-acre (57,000 m2) riverside park. Broadway Street NE is the northern boundary, and the neighborhood extends to Second Avenue on the south. The Mississippi River makes up the western extent and Washington and Fifth streets NE define the eastern boundary. 
Despite its status as one of the city's oldest neighborhoods, Saint Anthony West is part of the transformation taking place along the river. Developers have discovered Northeast Minneapolis as a prime location for new upscale housing and commercial projects. To balance the new development in other Northeast neighborhoods, St. Anthony West residents in 2004 revived an arrangement with the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency to reclaim the 12-acre (49,000 m2) B.F. Nelson site as a public open space along the Mississippi riverfront.
The Saint Anthony West Neighborhood Organization (STAWNO) is the designated citizen participation organization for the neighborhood. Monthly meetings are open to the public. 
Saint Anthony West is represented by the following people:
Hennepin County Commissioner: Peter McLaughlin 
Minnesota House of Representatives (District 59A): Diane Loeffler
Minnesota Senate (District 59): Lawrence J. Pogemiller
- "St. Anthony West neighborhood in Minneapolis, Minnesota (MN), 55413 detailed profile". City-Data. 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Minneapolis Neighborhood Profile: St. Anthony West" (PDF). Minnesota Compass. October 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- St. Anthony West - Minneapolis Neighborhood Profile
- McKenzie, Sarah (2005-06-26). "Condo craze hits NE: 500+ units planned".
- Work on the park began in early 2008. As of June 2009, the park remains under construction. Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board - B. F. Nelson Park
- Saint Anthony West Neighborhood Organization
- Ward 3 Home - Diane Hofstede
- Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board - Commissioners
- Mayor R.T. Rybak - Official Site of the Mayor of Minneapolis
- Hennepin County
- Diane Loeffler (DFL) 59A - Minnesota House of Representatives
- Senator Lawrence J. Pogemiller (DFL) District 59
- St. Anthony West, Minneapolis, MN. Google Earth. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
|Near North||St. Anthony East|
|North Loop||Nicollet Island/East Bank|