St. Augustine's Church (Manhattan)
St. Augustine's Chapel
|Location||290 Henry St.
Manhattan, New York City
|Architectural style||Georgian, Gothic Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||80002718|
|Added to NRHP||May 6, 1980|
|Designated NYCL||August 16, 1966|
St. Augustine's Church at 290 Henry Street between Montgomery and Jackson Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1827-29 as the All Saints' Free Church – "Free" meaning that rent was not charged for pews – and was constructed out of Manhattan schist. The design – a Georgian structure with Gothic windows – is credited to John Heath, and includes a double pediment and a projecting tower. The church was enlarged in 1848 with the addition of a sanctuary and a chancel.
Traditionally, it is thought that two rough galleries on either side of the organ loft might have been for the use of slaves, despite the church having been built after slaves were emancipated in New York.
In 1949, the congregation merged with St. Augustine's Chapel of Trinity Church, then located at 107 East Houston Street, and the new combined congregation used the building on Henry Street. The parish became independent of Trinity in 1976.
This 1934 drawing from the Historic American Buildings Survey shows approximately what the east elevation of the church looked like before it lost its tower.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; Postal, Matthew A. (ed. and text); Dolkart, Andrew S. (text). (2009) Guide to New York City Landmarks (4th ed.) New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-28963-1, p.48
- Nevius, Michelle and Nevius, James. Inside the Apple: A Streetwise History of New York City. New York: Free Press, 2009. ISBN 141658997X, pp.62-63
- White, Norval & Willensky, Elliot (2000). AIA Guide to New York City (4th ed.). New York: Three Rivers Press. ISBN 978-0-8129-3107-5., p.92
- Historical marker on the church. Accessed: 2001-09-03
- Dunlap, David W. From Abyssinian to Zion. (2004) New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-12543-7, p.193
- Media related to St. Augustine's Church (Manhattan) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- St. Augustine's/All Saints records at Trinity Wall Street Archives
|This article about a historic property or district in Manhattan, New York City, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Manhattan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|