St. Clair West (TTC)
|St. Clair West|
|Address||370 St. Clair Avenue West
|Opened||28 January 1978|
|Architect||TTC in house architects|
St. Clair West is a subway station on the Yonge–University–Spadina line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It spans the block north of St. Clair Avenue West to Heath Street, between Bathurst Street and Tweedsmuir Avenue. The sports field of St. Michael's College School is directly above the length of the station; a Loblaws supermarket is located over the entrance to the station on the north side of St. Clair Avenue
During weekday morning rush hours, many northbound trains on the Yonge–University–Spadina line are short-turned, resulting in more frequent service south of the station and less frequent service north of it.
St. Clair West is not currently wheelchair-accessible, although there is an elevator at the Heath Street exit.
This station was opened in 1978, as part of the subway line extension from St. George Station to Wilson Station. Its south end was then in the City of Toronto while its north end was in the Borough of York.
The 1995 Russell Hill subway incident occurred on August 11, 1995, between this station and Dupont Station to the south on the southbound line. The impact site was closer to Dupont Station than to St. Clair West Station.
Architecture and art
St. Clair West, designed by the TTC's in-house architects, is a colourful station featuring a wide variety of interior finishes such as ceramic tiles, brick and sculptural concrete surfaces. Backlit orange panels and an abstract tile pattern resembling a barcode at platform level distinguish the station from others in the system. The TTC built its first underground streetcar loop at this station circling an exceptionally spacious waiting area for connections to surface routes. Wilson is the one other station on the Spadina line which, due to their complexity, the TTC chose to design themselves.
Subway infrastructure in the vicinity
South of the station, the subway tunnel cuts southeast through the Nordheimer Ravine, where the emergency exit used in the Russell Hill accident is located, then continues in a bored tunnel south beneath Spadina Road and under Casa Loma to Dupont Station.
These routes can be boarded in the underground loop:
- 33 Forest Hill to Eglinton Ave.
- Route 90: Vaughan
- 90 to Eglinton Ave.
- 90A to Oakwood Ave.
- 126 Christie to Christie Station
- 512 St. Clair
- 7 Bathurst - passengers can walk outside the station to Bathurst Street and use paper transfers to connect to this bus route.
- "Subway ridership, 2011-2012". Toronto Transit Commission. "This table shows the typical number of customer-trips made on each subway on an average weekday and the typical number of customers travelling to and from each station platform on an average weekday. Five stations serve two subways, and so are listed twice, once for each subway"
- Robert Moffatt (28 October 2010). "Art and architecture on the Spadina subway". Toronto Modern. Retrieved August 2012.
- "Gordon Rayner". Centre for Contemporary Canadian Art. Retrieved August 2012.
- Lost River Walks: Nordheimer Reach
- St Clair West Station: Connections to
- TTC: Walking Transfers
Media related to St. Clair West Station at Wikimedia Commons