St. Francis DeSales High School (Columbus, Ohio)
|St. Francis DeSales High School|
|4212 Karl Road
Columbus, Ohio, (Franklin County), 43224
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founder||Monsignor James M. Berendt|
|Oversight||Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus|
|Asst. Principal||Jim Jones|
|Chief custodian||John Lawson|
|Color(s)||Purple and White|
|Athletics conference||Central Catholic League|
|Publication||The Mighty Pen|
|Athletic Director||Tom Neubert|
|Director of Admissions||Julie Barber|
|Dean of Students||Bill Steller|
St. Francis DeSales High School is located in Columbus, Ohio. A majority of the student body lives in the Columbus school districts, with students also from Worthington, Delaware, Dublin, and Gahanna, among others.
Founded in 1960, St. Francis DeSales High School began with the values of Faith, Family and Tradition. The community was envisioned by Monsignor James M. Berendt who had been chosen to form the co-ed high school. Today there are over 900 students and the faculty and staff size has also grown.
St. Francis DeSales High School is the recipient of two Blue Ribbon Awards of Excellence in Education.
Clubs and activities
The school's Latin Club functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL). The school also offers Italian Club, French Club, Spanish Club, St. Vincent DePaul, a National Honors Society chapter, Gaming Club, Drama Club, Art Club, Student Council, Model UN Club, Environmental Club, Equus, Math Club, Horizons (Liturgical Choir), Band, American Sign Language Club, Flag Corps, In-the-Know, History Club, Ski Club and Fishing Club.
- The varsity football team has been state runner-up five times, in 1990, 1996, 2001, 2005 and 2009, and has won the Division III state championship three times, in 1985, 1997 and 1998.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Football - 1985, 1997, 1998.
- Wrestling - 1971, 1974, 1977 
- Basketball – 1987 
- Baseball - 1979, 2011, 2012 
- Soccer - 1986, 1992, 1997, 2009 
- Girls Soccer - 1995, 1997, 1998, 2011 
- Girls Volleyball - 1982 
- Blaine Wilson, Olympic silver medalist
- Antonio Daniels, NBA Player
- Luke Fickell, former Head Coach for Ohio State
- Matt Stewart, NFL player
- Gary Berry, former NFL player
- Matt D'Orazio, current AFL player
- John Holgado, bass guitar player for post-hardcore band Attack Attack!
- Dom Tiberi, WBNS 10TV local sports anchor
- Elijah Allen, Professional Basketball player
- Paul Haynes, Head Football Coach at Kent State University
- Patrick Omameh, Professional football player
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Elected Officer Pre-file Application". Executive Board Pre-File Application. Ohio Junior Classical League. 2009. Retrieved 24 October 2009.[dead link]
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org - July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010. "... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL."
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.