St. Ignatius, Montana
|St. Ignatius, Montana|
Location of St. Ignatius, Montana
|• Total||0.56 sq mi (1.45 km2)|
|• Land||0.56 sq mi (1.45 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,940 ft (896 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||852|
|• Density||1,503.6/sq mi (580.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0776104|
St. Ignatius (Salish: snyél̓mn, Ktunaxa: ʔa·kikqǂaǂaǂuk̓pǂiʔit) is a town in Lake County, Montana, United States. The population was 842 at the 2010 census. The town is located on the Flathead Indian Reservation.
St. Ignatius is located at (47.318154, -114.096140).
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, St. Ignatius has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 842 people, 333 households, and 210 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,503.6 inhabitants per square mile (580.5/km2). There were 369 housing units at an average density of 658.9 per square mile (254.4/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 48.3% White, 0.2% African American, 42.4% Native American, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.2% from other races, and 8.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.2% of the population.
There were 333 households of which 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.0% were married couples living together, 21.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.9% were non-families. 31.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.18.
The median age in the town was 35 years. 30.2% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.6% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 14.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 48.2% male and 51.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 788 people, 307 households, and 194 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,509.1 people per square mile (585.1/km²). There were 328 housing units at an average density of 628.1 per square mile (243.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 52.54% White, 44.67% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.13% Pacific Islander, 0.25% from other races, and 2.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.19% of the population.The population was 198 000 000 213
There were 307 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.4% were married couples living together, 18.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 31.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.27.
In the town the population was spread out with 32.1% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 84.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,682, and the median income for a family was $34,250. Males had a median income of $30,804 versus $24,844 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,336. About 15.5% of families and 19.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.2% of those under age 18 and 17.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Sam Burley, middle-distance track athlete, was born here.
- Corwin Clairmont, artist and educator
- Tim Ryan, country singer
- Diane Sands, member of the Montana House of Representatives, was born here.
- Stephanie Trudeau, 2007 Miss Montana USA, was born in St. Ignatius.
- Russell Fay Richardson, businessman & inventor (U.S. patent 3898833 and others) was born here in 1918.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "FirstVoices: Nature / Environment - place names: words. Ktunaxa.". Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Tachini, Pete (2010). Seliš nyoʻnuntn, Medicine for the Salish language : English to Salish translation dictionary (2nd ed.). Pablo, MT: Salish Kootenai College Press. p. 520. ISBN 9781934594063.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for St. Ignatius, Montana
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.