St. Joseph High School (Connecticut)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010)|
|St. Joseph High School|
|2320 Huntington Turnpike
Trumbull, Connecticut, Fairfield County, 06611
|Motto||Privilege and Responsibility|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Diocese of Bridgeport|
|President||William J. Fitzgerald|
|Principal||Kenneth Mayo (Retiring after 2014-15 school year)|
|Chaplain||Fr. Michael Novajosky|
|Enrollment||Approx. 830 (2012)|
|Average class size||24|
|Campus size||25 acres (100,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold ‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Athletic Director||Kevin A. Butler |
St. Joseph High School is a private Catholic high school in Trumbull, Connecticut. A four-year, coeducational college preparatory school, St. Joseph was founded in 1962 by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport. The school is made up of approximately 830 students, of which about 84% are Catholic. The campus covers 25 acres (100,000 m2).
Most students are from Fairfield and New Haven counties in Connecticut. The school has a full-time faculty of 74, in addition to four administrators, four guidance counselors, and a social worker, 15 of whom are St. Joseph's graduates themselves. 76% have advanced degrees.
St. Joseph High School currently offers 17 sports:
- Cheerleading (Varsity/JV)
- Cross County (Boys Varsity/Girls Varsity)
- Football (Boys Varsity, JV, Freshmen)
- Soccer (Boys Varsity, JV/Girls Varsity, JV)
- Swimming & Diving (Girls Varsity)
- Volleyball (Girls Varsity, JV)
- Basketball (Boys Varsity, JV, Freshmen/Girls Varsity, JV, Freshmen)
- Bowling (Co-ed)
- Ice Hockey (Boys Varsity, JV)
- Indoor Track (Boys Varsity/Girls Varsity)
- Baseball (Boys Varsity, JV, Freshmen)
- Golf (Boys Varsity)
- Lacrosse (Boys Varsity, JV, Freshmen/Girls Varsity, JV)
- Outdoor Track (Boys Varsity/Girls Varsity)
- Softball (Girl's Varsity, JV)
- Tennis (Boys Varsity, Girls Varsity)
- Volleyball (Boys Varsity, JV)
St. Joseph Athletics is a member of the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC) and the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference (FCIAC).
Since 2008, the school has collected over 15 State Championships.
The Boys Varsity Basketball team has won 11 State Championships and has been runners-up 6 times. The team was formerly coached by Vito Montelli, who boasts an impressive 878-328 career record, making him the winningest coach in New England history. When Montelli retired after the 2012 season, the program was handed over to Chris Watts.
The football program has also won 12 state championships, including back to back championships in 2009 and 2010. Most recently, coach Joe DellaVecchia led his team to back-to-back Class M titles in 2013 and 2014.
In the summer of 2013, longtime athletic director Jim Olayos was hired by Notre Dame-Fairfield as the Director of Athletic Advancement, leaving the position vacant.  Olayos was replaced by Kevin A. Butler from St. Luke's School on December 1, 2013. Butler's position is now referred to as Vice Principal for Athletic Programming.
Activities & Clubs
- Amaranth (literary magazine)
- French National Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- Spanish National Honor Society
- Writing Center
- Baking Club
- Frisbee Club
- Ping Pong Club
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (S.A.D.D.) & Empowered Club
- Wellness Club
- Zumba Club
- English Club
- French Club
- International/Asian Club
- Irish Club
- Italian Club
- Spanish Club
- Animal Volunteer Club
- Camp Sunshine
- Habitat for Humanity
- Letters of Love
- Freshman Guides
- Pep Club
- SJ Today (Media/News)
- Student Ambassadors
- Car Club
- Debate Club
- Drama Club
- Guitar Club
- History Club
- Math Club
- Movie Club
- Portfolio Club
- Science Club
- Technology Club
- Ukelele Club
- Lisa Lampanelli, actor/comedian
- Kevin Nealon, actor/comedian
- Christy Carlson Romano, actor
- Chad Upshaw, NFL tight end (2002) 
- Dan Iassogna, Major League Baseball umpire
- Lynne Ann Schwarzenberg, artist/instructor
- NEASC-CIS. "NEASC-Commission on Independent Schools". Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- St. Joseph High School. "Quick Facts". St. Joseph High School. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- ESPN. "50 year Vet Vito Montelli is Coach of the Year". ESPN. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Clubs and Activities
- "Chad Upshaw Player Profile". Retrieved 7 February 2013.