St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Elverson, Pennsylvania)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
|Location||Warwick Rd., Warwick Township, Elverson, Pennsylvania|
|Area||1.3 acres (0.53 ha)|
|Architectural style||Gothic Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||96000082|
|Added to NRHP||February 16, 1996|
St. Mary's Episcopal Church, also known as Old Saint Mary's Church, is a historic Episcopal church located on Warwick Road, Warwick Township in Elverson, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The church was built in 1843, and is a one-story, rectangular stuccoed fieldstone structure in the Gothic Revival style. It measures 50 feet wide and 70 feet deep. The church is surrounded by the parish cemetery, with burials dating to 1806.
Founded by Rev. Levi Bull, DD, in 1805, the first church here was built in 1806. J.F. Sachse, of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, believed it to be the first church built in Pennsylvania after the American Revolution. Dr. Bull continued to minister to the congregation here for almost 50 years. During Dr. Bull's tenure, in 1843, the original church was replaced by the present structure.
By the 1970s, the congregation had fallen to about ten attendees. However, the congregation was revived in the 1990s by financial support from the Brandywine Deanery and adopted elements of the charismatic movement under the rectorate of Rev. John Maher.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "National Historic Landmarks & National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania" (Searchable database). CRGIS: Cultural Resources Geographic Information System. Note: This includes Estelle Cremers (September 1995). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: St. Mary's Episcopal Church" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Year book of the Pennsylvania Society. New York: The Pennsylvania Society. 1907. p. 205.
- Samuel Fitch Hotchkin (1890). Country clergy of Pennsylvania. P. W. Ziegler. pp. 31–32.
- Don Beideman (1995-01-08). "Blending Old And New, A Church Is Revitalized The Worship Is Exuberant And Unorthodox At St. Mary's.". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
|This article about a property in Chester County, Pennsylvania on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|