St. Matthew's University
|St. Matthew's University|
|Motto||Improving Life by Degrees|
|Established||1997 / 2002|
|Chancellor||John Marvin, MBA|
|Location||West Bay Road, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands|
|Colors||Purple, Sea green and Yellow|
St. Matthew's University (SMU) is a for-profit university located in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. SMU has a School of Medicine and a School of Veterinary Medicine, which confer M.D. and D.V.M. degrees, respectively. St. Matthew's University is owned by R3 Education, Inc.
SMU was founded in Belize in 1997 by Grand Forks, North Dakota native Jeffrey S. Sersland and was named for Sersland's friend Matthew Uhrich of North Dakota. In 2001, the board of directors abruptly changed the university's administration, with Sersland and his wife both removed from their positions on campus. In 2002, the school moved to the Cayman Islands under interim president B.D. Owens. Sersland then formed the Medical University of the Americas - Belize in 2002 which closed in 2007
School of Medicine 
SMU School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Commission of Colleges of Medicine, a recognized accrediting agency listed in the FAIMER Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools (DORA).
St. Matthew's is approved by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and the Florida Department of Education's Commission for Independent Education for the purpose of providing clinical rotations in those states.
Licensure restrictions 
In the United States, the medical boards of the following states have listed St. Matthew's University as an institution whose graduates are ineligible for licensure::
In the United Kingdom, the General Medical Council has listed St. Matthew's University as an institution whose graduates from the Belize campus are ineligible for licensure. Graduates from the current Cayman Islands campus are eligible for licensure.
School of Veterinary Medicine 
St. Matthew's University school of Veterinary Medicine (SMUSVM) is listed by the American Veterinary Medical Association and its graduates qualify for entrance into the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) or the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE) certification programs.
Notable alumni 
- Kehinde Aladefa, Nigerian Olympic athlete
- Daaron McField, former Canadian Football League player
See also 
- ECFMG IMED. "International Medical Education Directory listing for Belize". Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- ECFMG IMED. "International Medical Education Directory for the Cayman Islands". Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Our Community - Dr. Jeffrey Sersland - sanpedrosun.net - June 10, 2004
- St. Matthew's changes administration - sanpedrosun.net - June 14, 2001
- Medical University of the Americas of Belize - Gone or in rest? sanpedrosun.net - March 13, 2008
- "St. Matthew's University | About St Matthew's University | History of St. Matthew's University". Stmatthews.edu. 2005-09-01. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Equinox Capital, Inc. - News". Equinox-capital.com. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Welcome to ACCM - The Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine". Accredmed.org. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Medical Board of California - International Medical Schools Disapproved by the State of California". mbc.ca.gov. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "PLA: Approved/Disapproved Foreign Medical Schools". in.gov. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "North Dakota Board of Medical Examiners - Disapproved Medical Schools" (PDF). ndbomex.com. 2008-06-23. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- Markoff, Alan (May 3, 2005). "Caymanian med student excels". Caymanian Compass. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- St. Matthew's University Grand Cayman Island Official University Web Site