St. Matthews, South Carolina
|St. Matthews, South Carolina|
Location of St. Matthews, South Carolina
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Land||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.026 km2)|
|Elevation||279 ft (85 m)|
|• Density||1,092/sq mi (421.5/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1250621|
The Col. J.A. Banks House, Buyck's Bluff Archeological Site, Calhoun County Courthouse, Calhoun County Library, Cherokee Path, Sterling Land Grant, Col. Olin M. Dantzler House, David Houser House, Prehistoric Indian Village, and Puritan Farm are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Matthews is located at .(33.664734, -80.778976)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (5.0 km²), of which, 1.9 square miles (5.0 km²) of it is land and 0.52% is water.
- The Calhoun Academy is the private co-educational college preparatory school that is located in St. Matthews.
- St. Matthews K-8 School
- Sandy Run K-8 School
- Calhoun County High School
- Mike Colter, actor
- James 'Blood' Ulmer Jazz and Blues Guitarist
- Clarence Felder, actor
- Viola Davis, Academy Award Nominee and actress
- Alshon Jeffrey, Chicago Bears (NFL) and (former) University of South Carolina Wide Receiver
- Phillip Merling, Miami Dolphins Defensive End in the NFL
- Othniel Wienges, politician and horse breeder
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,107 people, 823 households, and 549 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,091.1 people per square mile (421.5/km²). There were 913 housing units at an average density of 472.8 per square mile (182.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 37.16% White, 61.46% African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 0.38% from other races, and 0.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.33% of the population.
There were 823 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.8% were married couples living together, 21.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families. 30.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.5% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 23.3% from 25 to 44, 24.0% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 72.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 66.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $24,969, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $29,760 versus $21,311 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,911. About 19.5% of families and 24.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.8% of those under age 18 and 21.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Calhoun County Museum and Cultural Center
- Information about St. Matthews from the Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce