St. Michaels University School
|St. Michaels University School|
|3400 Richmond Road
Victoria, British Columbia, V8P 4P5, Canada
|Director of Senior School||Andy Rodford|
|School type||Private Day and Boarding|
|Team name||Blue Jags|
|Colours||Red, White, Black, Blue|
1906 (University School) 1910 (St. Michaels School)1971 (amalgamation)
St. Michaels University School (SMUS or SMU) is a private day and boarding school in the municipality of Saanich, which is a suburb of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The school is currently under the direction of headmaster Robert Snowden. Previous headmasters include David Penaluna (1988–1994) and John Shaffter (1977–1988). The school is accredited by Canadian Accredited Independent Schools.
In 1906 University School was founded by R. V. Harvey, Rev. W. W. Bolton and J. C. Barnacle and four years later, in 1910 K. C. Symons founded St. Michaels School. St. Michael's was unusual for its relatively large number of local day students (as contrasted with University School's large number of boarders). Facing some financial difficulties and the death of its headmaster in 1970, University School merged with St. Michaels in 1971. In 1979, girls were, for the first time, enrolled as day and boarding students in grades 10-12, and the school became fully coeducational in 1985. A major expansion of the campus began in 1985.
The Latin Motto of University School was "Mens sana in corpore sano," which means "A healthy mind in a healthy body." St. Michaels School had the Motto "Nihil Magnum Nisi Bonum," "Nothing is great unless it is good." The current motto of St. Michaels University School is "Vivat!", or "Long live the school!" This ties into the school's song, "Vivat - Universitas!", written by Capt. R. V. Harvey originally for University School.
Richmond Road Campus:
- School House: Administration, Library, Mathematics
- Brown Hall: Dining Hall
- Crothall Centre for the Humanities and Arts: Classrooms, Lecture Theatre, Drama Room, Art Room
- William Monkman Athletic Complex: Gymnasium, Squash Courts, Fitness Center
- John and Anne Schaffter Hall for Music
- Science Building: Science Classrooms and Computer Labs
- Residence Buildings: Barnacle, Bolton, Harvey (boys) and Winslow, Symons, Timmis (girls)
- Wenman Pavilion (Senior Lounge and home to the Daily Grind Cafe)
- Reynolds House (Headmaster's Residence)
- Middle School
Tuition Fees per year:
Boarding Fees(Grades 8-12):
- BC boarding students: $41,870
- North American boarding students: $46,120
- International boarding students: $54,780
- ESL students: $64,210
Day Fees(Grades 9-12):
- BC day students: $18,990
- North American day students: $23,240
- International day students: $31,900
SMUS is located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. The Senior and Middle School Campus is located in Saanich, a suburban area in Greater Victoria, and the Junior School Campus is situated in Oak Bay.
- Afshin Feiz - Fashion Designer
- Timothy Williams (1983) - Composer and Orchestrator
- Manoj Sood (1981) - Actor
- Leslie Hope (1982) - Actress
- Andrew Sabiston (1982) - Actor
- Kenneth Oppel (1985) - Author
- Bert Archer (1986) - Journalist/Author
- Bryce Soderberg (1998) - Musician
- The Racoons (Jeff Mitchelmore 2004, Matthew Lyall 2002) - Musicians
- Jason Kenney - Conservative cabinet minister under Stephen Harper (Immigration)
- David Anderson - Former Liberal cabinet minister and former leader of the BC Liberal Party
- Jodie Emery - marijuana activist
- Steve Nash - NBA player with Los Angeles Lakers (two time NBA MVP)
- Ryan O'Byrne - NHL player with Toronto Maple Leafs
- Matt Pettinger - Former NHL player with Washington Capitals, Vancouver Canucks and Tampa Bay Lightning
- Mike Pyke - Former professional rugby union player with Edinburgh (Celtic League) and Montauban (French Top 14), currently professional Australian Rules Football Player with the Sydney Swans
- Gareth Rees - Former captain of the Canadian national rugby union team
- Sam Malin (1981) - founder of Madagascar Oil
- Stewart Butterfield (1991) - co-founder of Flickr and CEO at Slack
- St. Michaels University School at Canadian Accredited Independent Schools (accessed 2015-03-23).
- Jean Barman Growing Up British in British Columbia: Boys in Private School (UBC Press, 2011), ISBN 978-0774845021, pp.26-27, 145-146, et passim. Excerpts available at Google Books.
- Ashley Thomson, Sylvie Lafortune, Handbook of Canadian Boarding Schools (Dundurn Press, 1999), ISBN 978-1550023237, pp. 99-109.
- Paola Boivin, "Hometown shaped its famous Sun, Steve Nash: Nash's upbringing forged his work ethic, attitude", The Arizona Republic, February 28, 2010.