St. Paul's Cathedral (Buffalo, New York)
|Saint Paul's Cathedral|
|Location||128 Pearl Street, Buffalo, New York|
|Website||St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral|
|Founded||10 February 1817|
|Dedicated||22 October 1851|
|Consecrated||22 October 1851|
|Construction cost||US$160 thousand|
|Height||274 feet (83.5 m)|
St. Paul's Cathedral (Buffalo)
St. Paul's Cathedral, ca. 1890
|Architect||Richard Upjohn; Robert W. Gibson|
|Architectural style||Gothic Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||73002298
|Added to NRHP||March 1, 1973
December 23, 1987 (increase)
|Designated NHL||December 23, 1987 |
St. Paul's Cathedral is the cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York and a landmark of downtown Buffalo, New York. The church sits on an a triangular lot bounded by Church St., Pearl St., Erie St., and Main St.
In 1848, vestrymen of St. Paul's in Buffalo formed a building committee to erect a new stone church. Being familiar with architect Richard Upjohn’s work through his recently completed Trinity Church in New York City, they desired no other architect for the job, and immediately engaged Upjohn for the commission.
- 1849: construction started.
- 1851: the cathedral was dedicated/consecrated.
- 1870: the spires on top of the two towers were finished.
- 1888: a fire caused by a natural gas explosion nearly destroyed the building.
- 1890: the church reopened after undergoing a renovation overseen by Robert W. Gibson.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral in 1973. In 1987, the NRHP listing was revised as "St. Paul's Cathedral (Buffalo)"  and the property was further declared a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "St. Paul's Cathedral (Buffalo)". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2007-09-19.
- Napora, James. "Saint Paul's Episcopal Church: 1849–1851". Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Cornelia E. Brooke (May 1972). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: St. Paul's Cathedral". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2009-06-14.; Carolyn Pitts (c. 1987). "National Register of Historic Places increase / National Historic Landmark Registration: St. Paul's Cathedral". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2009-06-14. See also: "Accompanying four photos".
- LaChiusa, Chuck. "St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral". Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- A new NRHP reference number was issued. The purpose of revision is not specifically known in this case, but NRHP listings are often revised to reflect boundary changes.
- Carolyn Pitts (n.d.), National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: St. Paul's Cathedral (pdf), National Park Service and PDF (368 KB)
- Official website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-5612, "St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral, Shelton Square, Buffalo, Erie County, NY", 12 photos, 9 data pages
- Skyscraper page building entry
- Emporis building entry