St. Pius X High School (Albuquerque)
|St. Pius X High School|
"Teach me goodness, discipline, and knowledge"
|Albuquerque, New Mexico, (Bernalillo County), 87120
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Vice Principals||Orlando Rodriguez
|Enrollment||936  (2009)|
|Color(s)||Black, Gold, and White|
|Athletics conference||NMAA, AAAA Dist. 5|
|Accreditation(s)||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Dean of Students||position absent|
|Athletic Director||James Cook|
|School Historian||Ron Tybor|
The school is located on Albuquerque's west side, on the campus that was formerly the location of the University of Albuquerque. St. Pius X is a co-educational institution that serves over 900 students in grades nine through twelve.
The name is a contraction of Pope Pius X’s name Giuseppe Sarto. It is used because our patron saint embodied the characteristics of charity, good humor, fair play, and faithfulness—the same high ideals that St. Pius X High School hopes to instill in its students. In Italian, Sarto is translated as “Tailor.” Thus a Sartan is one who tailors his life after these ideals and actively supports his motto: “To restore all things in Christ.”
Student body statistics
St. Pius High School has a student body that closely mirrors the ethnic makeup of Albuquerque. 55 percent Hispanic, 40 percent Anglo, four percent Native American, one percent African American and Asian. Though the vast majority of students at St. Pius X are Catholic, the school is open to students of all faiths, offering a college prep education, along with total, supportive Christian spiritual formation. Tuition has risen steadily over the years to reach around $10,000 for the 2011-12 school year. St. Pius X is Albuquerque's only Roman Catholic high school,[dubious ] and one of the few private institutions.
- Mike Mullane, astronaut
- Dennis Jett, former U.S. Ambassador to Peru
- John Cameron Mitchell, class of 1981, actor and filmmaker (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Shortbus, Rabbit Hole).
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson, actor (Modern Family)
- Mike Judge, Director, best known as the creator and star of the popular animated television series Beavis and Butt-head (1993–1997, 2011–), King of the Hill (1997–2010), and The Goode Family (2009).
- Cisco McSorley, Democratic member of the New Mexico Senate, representing the 16th District since 1997.
The Sartans compete in DIstrict 6 Class AAAA in New Mexico
The Saint Pius X Academic Decathlon Teams have also had many successes.
- State Champions (11) - 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Earned National Championship in Small School Division (1) - 1999.
Notes and references
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-04-02.