St. Scholastica's Academy, San Fernando
|St. Scholastica's Academy, City of San Fernando|
|Motto||Ora et Labora|
|Type||Private, Roman Catholic, exclusive, Secondary, Benedictine|
|Principal||Sr. Ezekiel Fernandez, OSB (High School Department) Sr. Reginalda Cortez, OSB (Grade School Department)|
|Grades||Pre-school to 4th year H.S.|
|Location||Mc Arthur Highway, San Agustin, City of San Fernando,
San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines
|Accreditation||PAASCU Level III|
|Colors||White and Blue|
The former building of the St. Scholastica’s Academy of Pampanga, the third Benedictine school in the Philippines. Formerly known as the Assumption Academy, it was established in June 1925 in the house of the Singian family. The first high school was eventually added. In March 1930, the first secondary graduates of the Assumption Academy were presented. The Alumni/Alumnae and present students of this school include sons/daughters and granddaughters/son of businessmen, politicians, and prominent figures in Pampanga.
Due to the large number of enrollees, and the zeal of its biggest benefactor, Monsignor Prudencio David, the school was relocated to its second site in 1931, and ownership of the school was passed on to the Benedictine Sisters in 1938. With the outbreak of World War II, the building was used as a military hospital. In 1966, the school was renamed St. Scholastica’s Academy of Pampanga. The school was transferred to a bigger site in 1972, leaving the old building without occupants. This school is exclusively for girls only but, due to the protest of the parents of the students, now, St. Scholastica's Academy (SSA) is accepting boys but only for grade school.
In 1972, partly as a solution, the High School Department was transferred to the wide barren grounds in Cer-Hil, Quebiawan, five kilometers from the town proper. The previous match-like edifice has been expanded into an F-shaped building that houses the whole High School Department. A covered court with a stage, eating sheds, another building to house the Grade School Department and covered walks have been added through the combined efforts of the students, the alumnae, the PTA and the administration. On July 11, 1987, a building for the whole Grade School Department was blessed. The preschool later was transferred to a new building in 2001. The school has been recently renovated and the before F- shaped building of the high school department is now an E-shaped building to provide more classrooms for the students.
Beset by continuing threat of natural calamities prompted by the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1991, SSA-SF was challenged to strengthen/further its social orientation through various curricular processes and continuing community involvement projects and activities.
In 1992, it opened its door and provided temporary office for the Social Action Center of Pampanga (SACOP) and in 1994, it housed the lahar victims coming from various towns of Pampanga. The year after, SSA-SF shared its campus with Don Bosco Academy, the school which was totally buried in lahar.
SSA-SF also suffered a tremendous drop in its enrollment in 1996 due to the devastation of lahar, but was able to recover the next year. Through all of these, SSA-SF continued its quest for excellence that in 1991, the High School Department was accredited by PAASCU and the Grade School Department in 2000.
The grade school's sections are named as follows:
- 1st grade: St. Agatha, St. Anne, St. Claire, St. Monica, St. Martha, St. Agnes, St. Cecilia
- 2nd grade: St. Peter, St. John, St. Mark, St. Matthew, St. Thomas, St. Andrew, St. Paul
- 3rd grade: St. Benedict, St. Joseph, St. Ignatius, St. Francis, St. Therese, St. Scholastica
- 4th grade: St. Boniface, St. Chrysostom, St. Bernard, St. Hilda, St. Odo, St. Placid, St. Maurus
- 5th grade: St. Cyril, St. Clement, St. Cornelius, St. Camillus, St. Otilia, St. Celestine, St. Cyprian
- 6th grade: St. Lorenzo, St. Stephen, St. Gertrude, St. Augustine, St. Vincent, St. Lucy, St. Anthony
The high school's sections are named as follows:
- Grade 7: Women in the Bible (Deborah, Esther, Judith, Miriam,Naomi, Ruth, Sarah, )
- Grade 8: Rules of St. Benedict (Honesty, Humility, Moderation, Obedience, Reverence, Simplicity, Stability)
- Juniors: Titles of Mary (Carmel, Fatima, Guadalupe, Lourdes, Manaoag, Penafrancia, Remedies)
- Seniors: Fruits of the Holy Spirit (Charity, Chastity, Endurance, Generosity, Gentleness, Patience, Peace)
In the school year 2009-2010, the first year sections are only 6. Due to the high-number of enrollees in the school year 2010-2011, the school reduced one section in the 4th year (Courage) and added Naomi in the first year.
- Ora et Labora
- "Prayer and Work"
SSA-SF is PAASCU-accredited and is also one of the prominent and top academic institutions in the Philippines.
It is a member of the Association of Benedictine Schools (ABS), the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) and Women's National Collegiate Association (WNCAA)- Central Luzon
- Flag Ceremony and Morning Praise
- Prayer before, during and after Class
- Campus Security
- Identification Card
- Gate Pass
- Daily Class Schedule
- Audio Visual Centers
- Science Laboratories (specifically Physics Laboratory, Chemistry Laboratory, Biology Laboratory and Earth Science Laboratory in the High School)
- School Store/Cafeteria
- Computer Laboratories
- Amrhein Hall
- St. Cecilia's Covered Court
- Dance Studio
- Swimming Pool
- Music Room
- H.E. (Home Economics) Room
- Art Room
- Sewing Room
- Retreats and Recollections
- Extra and Co-Curricular Activities
- School Publications
- Guidelines for Participation in Activities
- Organizations or Club Activities
- Class Activity
- Social Involvement Program
- Social Studies (High School Students)
- English (High School Students)
- Reading (Grade School Pupils)
- Language (Grade School Pupils)
- CLE (Christian Life Education)
- Sewing & Cooking (H.E.L.E) (For Grade school and high school)
- P.E. (Physical Education)
- English Speech (Grade School students)
- Arts (Grade School pupils)
- Visual Arts (Grade 7 and Grade 8 students)
- Bookkeeping (exclusively for Grade 9 students)
- Business Arts (exclusively for fourth-year students)
- Swimming (exclusively for grade 7 and Grade 8 students)
Student Council Organization (SCO)
The Student Council Organization is the representative of the secondary school students of St. Scholastica's Academy. It is composed of the SCO officers (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Auditor, PRO, Year Level Representatives) and Class Presidents and Secretaries.
The SCO makes the rules and regulations needed to carry out its objectives but subject to the approval of the High School Principal.
It shall enact measures that complement and supplement the work in school and serve as coordinating body of all student organizations.
- The Little Blue Quill (Grade School's Official Publication)
- The Blue Quill (High School's Official Publication)
- Helen Nicolette Henson - model, Bb.Pilipinas 2nd Runner-up
- Jayann Bautista - singer, Pinoy Idol 1st Runner-up
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Scholastica's Academy, San Fernando.|