St. Vincent–St. Mary High School
|St. Vincent–St. Mary High School|
|15 North Maple Street
Akron, Ohio, (Summit County), 44303
|Type||Private, college prep|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Established||1897 (St. Mary)
1906 (St. Vincent)
|President||Tom Carone VM'77|
|Chaplain||Fr. Gordon Yahner|
|Nickname||The Fighting Irish|
|Newspaper||The Leprechaun Gold|
|Director of Admissions||Joanne Coletta Wiseman V'69|
|Athletic Director||Andy Jalwan|
The current school is the result of the merger between St. Vincent and St. Mary High Schools in 1972. The newly merged school took on the athletic nickname of St. Vincent, the Fighting Irish.
St. Mary High School
In 1887 Richard Gilmour, then Bishop of Cleveland, had commissioned Rev. Dr. Thomas F. Mahar, pastor of St. Vincent Church, the oldest Catholic church in Akron, to establish a Mission in south Akron. St. Mary Parish was founded by Rev. Mahar in 1896. The high school was founded a year later. St. Mary's athletic teams were formerly known as the Crusaders.
St. Vincent High School
A high school was opened in September 1906 to provide parishioners' sons with a classical education beyond grade school. The parish had already opened St. Vincent Grade School, Akron's oldest Catholic school still in operation. At the time of the merger, St. Vincent High School had graduated over 6,000 students.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Football – 1972, 1981, 1982, 1988, 2012, 2013
- Boys Basketball – 1929, 1984, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2011
- Boys Baseball – 1986, 1989
- Boys Golf – 1927
- Boys Wrestling – 2001
- Girls Cross Country – 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Girls Basketball – 1979, 1980, 1995
- Girls Softball – 1979, 1984
- Boys Track - 2011
- Girls Track - 2012
* Title won by St. Mary High School prior to merger with St. Vincent.
** Title won by St. Vincent High School prior to merger with St. Mary
*** State Runner-Up Title
- COA National Cheerleading Champions, Small Mount Division - 2000, 2001
- Boys Basketball - USA Today National Champions -2003
- Boys 8th place at New Balance National Track Championship 4x800m relay- 2011
Renovation of gymnasium
In May 2013 LeBron James announced his intention to donate $1 million to the school for the purpose of renovating its gym. Scheduled for completion in the fall of 2013, the gym will bear James's name.
- LeBron James, NBA superstar who currently plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Jerome Lane, NBA player
- Tony Laterza, college basketball head coach
- Sandra Pianalto, United States Federal Reserve
- JaKarr Sampson, NBA player
- Frank Stams, NFL player
- Romeo Travis, basketball player
- Brian Windhorst, author and reporter for ESPN
Notes and references
- STVM Website
- "St. Vincent Parish History". stvincentchurch.com.
- Past, Present & Future — St. Mary High School
- "Athletics — Past, Present & Future". stvm.com.
- St. Vincent Elementary School — History
- Past, Present & Future — St. Vincent High School
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D3". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D2". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball A". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- LeBron James’ $1 million donation for St. V-M gym renovation is long-held goal, Akron Beacon Journal, May 2, 2013