St. Aloysius College (Mangalore)
|St. Aloysius College(Autonomous)|
|Motto||Lucet et Ardet|
Motto in English
|It shines and it burns|
|Location||Mangalore, Karnataka, India|
The college was affiliated to Mangalore University, becoming autonomous from 2007. It offers graduate and post-graduate diploma and Ph.D. programmes in a wide variety of subjects in the humanities, sciences, commerce, and management. The College also has a primary, middle school, high school and offers pre-university courses in science, commerce and arts.
The College traces its origins to 1880 when European Jesuits who had landed in Mangalore three years earlier set up a college for the education of the local Mangalorean Catholic youth. Along with the college was built a chapel dedicated to St. Aloysius Gonzaga and painted by a Jesuit Brother, Antonio Moscheni, who came from Italy specifically to do the work. This unique work of Baroque art in India is visited by thousands of people every year.
The St.Aloysius College,(Mangalore) is managed by the Mangalore Jesuit Educational Society which is registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and admits students without discriminating against any religion, caste or creed and seeks to establish a collegial environment in which those of diverse cultural backgrounds and religious beliefs can participate in the community in a spirit of co-operation and mutual respect.Currently 14,000 students study in this institution. Apart from academics the college is well known for National level fests such as Composite, ACME, Art Beat, Imprints, Media Manthan, etc.
The placement cell interacts with the Industry and to ensure employment of qualified students. Ninety percent of MBA graduates have been placed in companies like NOMURA,IBM, Bank of Maharastra, UNION BANK, E&Y, AMDOCS, South India Bank, IndiaBulls, Kotak Mahendra, ICICI Bank, ICICI Prudential, IDBI, 24/7Customer, Infosys, Symphony, Mekaster, Cambridge, HDFC and other leading banks and financial Institutions. 
Famous alumni include
- K K Venugopal, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court of India
- Anant Agarwal, Research scholar and CEO 
- Ananthakrishna, Former Chairman, The Karnataka Bank Ltd.
- Aravinda Adiga, winner of the Man Booker Prize
- Brian J. G. Pereira, M.D.
- Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Surgeon Philanthropist
- George Fernandes, Former Union Defence Minister 
- K. V. Kamath, Chairman, ICICI Bank,India
- V.J.P. Saldanha, Konkani language litterateur, dramatist, novelist, and poet.
- Maxwell Pereira, former Joint Police Commissioner, Delhi
- Deepa Sannidhi, actress
- M.V.Nair, Chairman, Union Bank of India, 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Aloysius College.|