St John's Church, Bergen
|St. John's Church|
View of the church
|Denomination||Church of Norway|
|Consecrated||15 March 1894|
|Architect(s)||Herman Major Backer
Hans Heinrich Jess
|Height||61 metres (200 ft)|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bjørgvin|
St. John's Church (Norwegian: Johanneskirken) is a parish church in Bergen municipality in Hordaland county, Norway. It is located in the Sydnes area of the city of Bergen. The church is part of the "Bergen domkirke" parish in the Bergen arch-deanery in the Diocese of Bjørgvin. The red, brick cruciform church has 1250 seats, making it the largest church in Bergen. The church was built between 1891 and 1894 in the Gothic Revival style. It was consecrated on 15 March 1894.
On 1 January 1885, the new parish of St. John was created out of the large Bergen Cathedral parish. In 1888, an architectural contest was conducted for the design of a new church. It was built from drawings by architect, Herman Major Backer (1856–1932). On 27 November 1891, the cornerstone was laid. The building process was first lead by architect Adolf Fischer and from 1891 by Hans Heinrich Jess. The church was consecrated on 15 March 1894. The frescoes in the Church's ceiling date from 1924 and were completed by Hugo Lous Mohr (1889-1970). 
The organ was built by Schlag & Söhne of Wurttemberg, Germany. It was modernized by J.H. Jørgensen of Oslo in 1967. The altarpiece depicts Christ in prayer and was designed in 1894 by Marcus Grønvold. The church tower is the highest in the city at 61 metres (200 ft). The main tower has four stair towers and a carillon. It was designed by Verein Bochum in Bochum, Westphalia.
The church was a parish church for the St. John's parish in central Bergen from 1894 until 2002. In 2002, several urban parishes in central Bergen were merged to form the "Bergen domkirke" parish which is made up of 5 main churches.
- "Johanneskirken". Kirkesøk: Kirkebyggdatabasen. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Oversikt over Nåværende Kirker" (in Norwegian). KirkeKonsulenten.no. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- "Kirker i Hordaland fylke" (in Norwegian). DIS-Hordaland. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Gunnar Hagen Hartvedt (1994). "Johanneskirken". Bergen Byleksikon. pp. 255–256.
- "Johanneskirken" (in Norwegian). Bergen domkirke menighet. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Lidén, Hans-Emil; Magerøy, Ellen Maria (1980). Norges kirker, Bergen (in Norwegian). Oslo. ISBN 8205123675.
- "Johanneskirken" (in Norwegian). Bergen Byarkiv. Retrieved 2014-08-14.
- Media related to Johanneskirken at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Norway is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|