St John the Baptist's Church, Llanrothal
|St John the Baptist's Church, Llanrothal|
St John the Baptist's Church, Llanrothal, from the northwest
|OS grid reference||SO 470 185|
|Website||Churches Conservation Trust|
|Dedication||John the Baptist|
|Heritage designation||Grade II*|
|Designated||25 February 1966|
St John the Baptist's Church, Llanrothal, is a redundant Anglican church in Llanrothal, Herefordshire, England. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It stands in a remote position close to the Wales–England border overlooking the River Monnow.
It has been suggested that the church was founded by the Celtic Saint Ridol (or Ryddol) and was re-dedicated to St John the Baptist only in the Norman period. The church has been described as "one of the most isolated churches in Herefordshire" and is approached by a grassed track across two fields. It lies a few hundred yards from the river.
The exterior of the church has been rendered. Its plan is simple, consisting of a nave and a chancel, with a north porch, which was previously a vestry. In the north wall of the nave is a Norman round-headed window from the 12th century, and a window from the 13th century with a trefoil head. There are two windows similar to the latter in the south wall. In the south wall of the chancel is a large four-light window. The east window has two lights, with a circular window above. Inside the church is a 17th-century panelled pulpit, and a brass chandelier which was donated by Ivor Bulmer-Thomas.
The font is a simple bowl on a narrow pedestal dating from the Norman period. It is decorated with a cross pattée, although there is no known association with the Knights Templar. The altar is simple and consists of a stone slab resting on two blocks of stone.
- English Heritage, "Church of St John Baptist, Llanrothal (1348962)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 19 December 2013
- Church of St John the Baptist, Llanrothal, Herefordshire, Churches Conservation Trust, retrieved 29 March 2011
- Diocese of Hereford: All Schemes (PDF), Church Commissioners/Statistics, Church of England, 2011, p. 3, retrieved 11 April 2011
- Ross, David, Llanrothal church, Britain Express, retrieved 19 December 2013
- "St John the Baptist, Llanrothal, Herefordshire" at churchcrawler.blogspot.co.uk
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint John the Baptist (Llanrothal).|