St John the Baptist's Church, Sutterby
|St John the Baptist's Church, Sutterby|
St John the Baptist's Church, Sutterby, from the southeast
|OS grid reference||TF 386 724|
|Website||Friends of Friendless Churches|
|Dedication||John the Baptist|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||3 February 1967|
|Materials||Greenstone with brick,
St John the Baptist's Church, Sutterby, is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Sutterby, Lincolnshire, England. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building, and is under the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches.
The church dates from the 12th century with additions in the 14th century. A south porch was added in 1743. It was declared redundant by the Diocese of Lincoln in August 1972, and gifted as a monument in March 1981. It was taken into the care of the charity, the Friends of Friendless Churches, who has held the freehold from 3 July 1981. Major repairs were carried out in 2002, and more repairs are being undertaken in 2010.
St John's is a simple building in one storey. It is constructed in greenstone with some brick patching, and has slate roofs. Its plan consists of a nave with a south porch, and a narrower chancel. In the west wall is a blocked window. The north wall contains a blocked 12th-century round-arched doorway and a blocked rectangular window. In the east wall is a four-light window with trefoil heads, and there is a similar two-light window in the south wall of the chancel. The south wall of the nave is supported by a brick buttress, to the left of which is a two-light window dating from the 14th century. The porch is gabled and has a 14th-century ogee-arched doorway. Internally, the furniture includes a 14th-century font in Decorated style with carved tracery on its sides, an 18th-century pulpit which is in a collapsed condition, and what remains of a 19th-century screen.
- English Heritage, "Church of St John the Baptist, Langton by Spilsby (1147550)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Sutterby St John the Baptist, Friends of Friendless Churches, retrieved 18 July 2010
- Sutterby, GENUKI, retrieved 18 July 2010
- Churches and chapels owned by the Friends of Friendless Churches: Details for Visitors, London: Friends of Friendless Churches, June 2010
- Saunders, Matthew (2010), Saving Churches, London: Frances Lincoln, pp. 100–101, ISBN 978-0-7112-3154-2