St Lawrence Church, Morden
|St. Lawrence Church, Morden|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Bishop(s)||Rt Rev. Richard Cheetham|
St Lawrence Church is the Church of England parish church for Morden in London Borough of Merton. The building is located on London Road, at the highest point of Morden, overlooking Morden Park. Morden Parish consists of four churches in total, the other three are Emmanuel (Stonecot Hill), St Martin's (Lower Morden) and St George's (Central Road, Morden). The three Team Clergy are Rev. David Ruddick, Rev. Dan McGowan and Rev. Les Wells. Les has two roles, as the Team Clergy member leading St Georges and as the Parish Youth Work Co-ordinator.
There are several services each Sunday, including book of common prayer, a choir led service, followed by family contemporary worship. The evening services differ from week to week with holy communion and prayer and praise.
The first church building here was possibly wooden as churches dedicated to St Lawrence were usually Saxon in origin.
The nearby Merton Abbey was closed down by Henry VIII as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the estate sold. Edward Whitchurch and Lionel Dutchet bought it, but had to flee to Europe when Queen Mary took over, and the estate went to the Garth family.
The Pulpit has a sounding-board over it for amplification and there is a monument opposite to Elizabeth Gardiner commemorates a benefactor to the first Morden school — the Old School House (now part of the Parish Hall Community) over the road is still used for educational purposes. There are coats of arms along the ceiling are called hatchments and a large Queen Anne coat of Arms preserved on the south wall with the motto over it Fear God and Honour the Queen!, this is possibly in relation to the Anne's establishment of the Church Commissioners, which paid Church of England clergy until recently.
The gallery at the back used to have a pipe organ in it, but was originally built for a Sunday School. In the tower are three bells, which can only be tolled, i.e. not swung right over due to restrictions placed by English Heritage on renewing the frame.
Leadership and staff
- Rector — The position of Rector is currently vacant, following the resignation of Rev. Ray Skinner.
- Rev. Precious Omuku — Associate Vicar. Precious is licensed as a non-stipendiary curate (Southwark). Precious also holds the roles of Assistant Priest (NSM, London), to The Nigerian Chaplaincy, London and Canon of the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos, Nigeria (December 2012).
- David McCall — Reader at St Lawrence. David plays an active role in church life, he preaches regularly and leads prayer and listening ministries.
- Sue White — Parish warden for the Morden Team. Sue is one of two wardens jointly responsible for overseeing the parish while the position of Team Rector is vacant.
- Charles Jeffery — Church warden. Charles is responsible for caring for the church property and overseeing Sunday services.
- Steve Harries — church administrator. SPA in training.
- See the "Ecclesiae Amicus" (Latin for Friend of the Church) inscription on the gravestone of Richard Garth by the Communion table.