St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake
|St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake|
|Diocese||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark|
|Priest(s)||Father Richard Whinder|
Sir Richard and Lady Burton
The cemetery includes a Grade II* listed tent-shaped mausoleum of Carrara marble and Forest of Dean stone. It contains the tombs of the Victorian explorer and translator of The Arabian Nights, Sir Richard Burton, who died in 1890, and his wife, Isabel, Lady Burton, who designed it. The coffins of Sir Richard and Lady Burton can be seen through a glass panel at the rear of the tent, which can be accessed via a short fixed ladder. The mausoleum was restored in 1975 and, with the support of the Friends of Burton and The Environment Trust, in 2012/13.
Sir James Marshall
19th-century colonial judge Sir James Marshall (1829–1889) who helped the spread of Roman Catholicism in Ghana and Nigeria, is buried in the churchyard cemetery. His wife Alice died in 1926 and is also buried in the churchyard. There is a plaque inside the church in their memory. It was unveiled on 11 August 1999, 100 years after his death.
- "About the Church: History of the Church". St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 513. ISBN 0 14 0710 47 7.
- "St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery". Barnes and Mortlake History Society. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Mausoleum of Sir Richard and Lady Burton, Churchyard of St Mary Magdalen". Historic England. Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- "After Sir Richard Burton's death". Local study notes. London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. 3 August 2009. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- Amy Dyduch (24 October 2013). "Victorian explorer's Mortlake mausoleum restoration celebrated". Richmond and Twickenham Times. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "About the Church: The Tomb of Sir Richard Burton". St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "The Historical sketch of the Knights of Marshall". Knights of Marshall. Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- Iain MacFarlaine (20 May 2003). "James Marshall". Find a Grave. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "About the Church: Other Features". St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Mortlake (St. Mary Magdalen) Roman Catholic Churchyard". Cemetery details. Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Mortlake (St. Mary Magdalen) Roman Catholic Churchyard". Casualty war records. Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- Official website
- Annabel Barber, Editor of Blue Guides (8 July 2014): Sir Richard Burton’s Mausoleum