St Mary Magdalene, Richmond
|St Mary Magdalene, Richmond|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Parish||St Mary Magdalene, Richmond|
|Vicar(s)||Revd David Gardiner|
|Parish administrator||Teresa Cross|
St Mary Magdalene, Richmond, in the Anglican Diocese of Southwark, is a Grade II* listed parish church on Paradise Road, Richmond, London. The church was built in the early 16th century but has been greatly altered so that apart from the tower, the visible parts of the church date from the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries.
The first chapel on the site of the present church was built in around 1220. The church was entirely rebuilt during the reign of Henry VII, who rebuilt the royal palace of Sheen and, in 1501, renamed Sheen as Richmond. The two bottom sections of the tower survive from this period but were re-faced in flint to match the new east end building in 1904.
In the early 17th century, a south aisle was added to the nave. The north aisle was added in 1699. The Tudor nave and the south aisle were rebuilt in 1750 in a matching Georgian classical style. The iron window frames were installed in 1850.
In 1866 the architect Arthur Blomfield replaced a plaster ceiling over the nave with the present open timber roof,described by Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner as "inappropriate". Blomfield also constructed new galleries and replaced the old box pews with the present bench pews.
In 1903-04 the architect George Frederick Bodley replaced the small Tudor chancel with an entire new east end comprising chancel, two chapels and vestry in a Neo-Gothic style. The tower was faced with flint and stone to match the east end. The north and south galleries were removed at this time. The west gallery was removed in 1935–36.
- "Meet the team". Richmond Team Ministry. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Church of St Mary Magdalene, Richmond upon Thames". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 518. ISBN 0 14 0710 47 7.
- "St Mary Magdalene: History of St Mary's". Richmond Team Ministry. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 9 February 1839. Retrieved 21 September 2008.
- "St Mary Magdalene Bell Ringing at St Mary’s". Richmond Team Ministry. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Surrey Richmond, St. Mary Magdalene, Paradise Road [N13875]". The National Pipe Organ Register (NPOR) V2.6. British Institute of Organ Studies. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "Surrey Richmond, St. Mary Magdalene, Paradise Road [N00932]". The National Pipe Organ Register (NPOR) V2.6. British Institute of Organ Studies. 18 January 2014. Retrieved 16 August 2014.