St Mary Magdalene, Richmond
|St Mary Magdalene, Richmond|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Bells||8 (between 1680 and 1761)|
|Parish||St Mary Magdalene, Richmond|
|Vicar(s)||Revd David Gardiner|
|Parish administrator||Teresa Cross|
St Mary Magdalene, Richmond, in the Anglican Diocese of Southwark, is a Grade II* listed parish church on Paradise Road, Richmond, London. The body of the church, which also includes an early 16th century tower faced with flint and stone in 1903-04, was built in 1750.
The first chapel on the site of the present church was built in around 1220. The church was entirely rebuilt during the reign of Henry VII, who rebuilt the royal palace of Sheen and, in 1501, renamed Sheen as Richmond. The two bottom sections of the tower survive from this period but were re-faced in flint to match the new east end building in 1904.
The north aisle was added in 1699. The Tudor nave and a south aisle that had been added in the early 17th century were rebuilt in 1750 in a matching Georgian classical style. The iron window frames were installed in 1850.
In 1866 the architect Arthur Blomfield replaced a plaster ceiling over the nave with the present open timber roof,described by Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner as "inappropriate". Blomfield also constructed new galleries and replaced the old box pews with the present bench pews.
The architect George Frederick Bodley took down the north and south galleries in 1903-04 when the small Tudor chancel was replaced by an entire new east end comprising vestry, chancel and two chapels in a Neo-Gothic style. The west gallery was removed in 1935-6.
- "Meet the team". Richmond Team Ministry. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Church of St Mary Magdalene, Richmond upon Thames". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 518. ISBN 0 14 0710 47 7.
- "St Mary Magdalene: History of St Mary's". Richmond Team Ministry. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "St Mary Magdalene Bell Ringing at St Mary’s". Richmond Team Ministry. Retrieved 19 January 2013.